LL-L 'Administrativia' 2007.02.01 (02) [E]

Thu Feb 1 17:58:58 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L - 01 February 2007 - Volume 02

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Administrativia

[Please do read this, especially if you are new on board!]

Dear Lowlanders,

Welcome to all of you who joined us since the middle of December! At the
end of this message is a list of your places of residence. You have already
met a couple of our newbies.

Please, folks, read and understand the rules and guidelines! It's really
important.

Rules and Guidelines: Dutch: http://www.lowlands-l.net/index.php?page=regels
English: <http://www.lowlands-l.n/>
http://www.lowlands-l.net/index.php?page=rules
German: <http://www.lowlands-l.n/>
http://www.lowlands-l.net/index.php?page=regeln-de
Limburgish: <http://www.lowlands-l.net/>
http://www.lowlands-l.net/index.php?page=regele
Lowlands Saxon (Low German): <http://www.lowlands/>
http://www.lowlands-l.net/index.php?page=regeln
Russian: http://www.lowlands-l.net/index.php?page=rules-ru

Even though our anniversary project (http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/),
has been up and running for a while now, please bear in mind that this is an
ongoing project and requires
your help, especially now that we are fast approaching the end of our
eleventh year. Thanks to everyone who has helped so far. We've received only
positive responses from outside the List so far. So, please keep going and
keep 'em coming, folks! People have been asking why we don't have sound
files of most of the "major" languages as well (e.g., French, Spanish,
Italian). Well, let me pass this question on to you. We really and truly
want more members' introductions

This week I will add the 200th translation! Two are currently in the works.
I posted the 90th sound file yesterday. And as of today there are 200
contributors. So we have reached a sort of milestone, but it's by no means
the end of the road. As I said, several additions are currently in the
works. I'm sure you could add to it. All of you speak at least one language,
and no two people speak and write alike. So all of you are potential
contributors on that score alone, and all of you know people that speak
other languages and dialects and are thus "recruitable," or "ready for the
picking."

Also, please remember to send in pictures for possible use in remodeling our
main site. What we have so far is here: http://lowlands-l.net/pics/
Please send additions under "LL-L Pictures" to <lowlands.list at gmail.com>.

And don't forget our budding gallery (http://lowlands-l.net/gallery/)! All
of you have some sorts of talents and skills that you could show off there.
It doesn't have to be literature, painting or photography. If you research
local history or culture, just write a small introduction to what you do,
perhaps with a couple of pictures. If you are interested in historical
architecture, write a piece about that with a picture or two. If you've
taken Lowlands-related trips, write about that, perhaps in the form of
anecdotes. If you have memories about old-time Lowlands customs that are now
fading away, share them with the world. Or perhaps you want to write
introductions to folk beliefs in your necks of the woods, or about place
names and what's hiding behind them. Or you might be a student of a
Lowlandslanguage and might share your experiences with that, perhaps
also lists of
resources. If you are an avid cook or baker with a Lowlands twist, share a
couple of recipes, and photographs of the finished products would be
cherries on top (no pun intended). You might want to explain what a typical
South African *braai* is like, or a Dutch-Indies *rijstafel*. If you are a
gardener and there's a Lowland angle to it, please write about it and
perhaps send us a photo or five. If you are a birder, write about your
discoveries with a Lowlands twist. If you play an instrument and or compose
music, perhaps songs, share a piece or two in the form of sound files and/or
sheet music. If you dance or do other forms of performance art, send us
photos and/or videos and write brief intro blurbs about the pieces. The
possibilities are endless.
Please send us anything relevant under "LL-L Gallery" to <
lowlands.list at gmail.com>.
Don't forget to send a short introduction of yourself along with your work,
in more than one language if you wish. If you need help with a language
that's not your own, just ask, and we'll try to arrange something for you.

And thanks to everyone who has helped with all of the above so far.

As most of you know in the meantime, our email addresses are now visible
only to subscribers. I hope this will encourage more of you to come forward
and participate in our discussions.

(1) We send the postings in Unicode (UTF-8) format. You need to switch your
view mode to it if you want to see all "special" characters.

(2) You must always give us your name, given name and family name.

(3) If you forward Lowlands-L mail to another (alias) account, please give
us the address of that account. We need to identify it so we can do
something in case we get error messages from that server.

(4) You must credit the writers of anything you quote. "Lowlands-L wrote:"
simply won't do. SEVERAL OF YOU ARE STILL NOT DOING THIS.

(5) Please continue already existing subject headers (rather than making up
your own for the same thing). If you do begin a new topic, please make sure
"Lowlands-L" or "LL-L" is in the subject line as well.

And a "new" one: DO NOT SEND POSTING SUBMISSIONS IN CAPITAL LETTERS ONLY. I
cannot accept them and will ask you to resubmit them in normal type case.
Note that, besides being difficult to read, all-caps text breaks Internet
etiquette rules. It is only used to orthographically represent
headings/headlines, besides that SHOUTING, YELLING, SCREAMING, etc., and
beyond that it's perceived as a sign of crying for attention. It's
considered simply OBNOXIOUS.

Many beginners, but also a few older hands, forget to provide their names
with their posting submission. Please remember that anonymous posting is not
an option, that you are obligated to give your given and family name, even
if you do not put them right next to each other.

Even some people who have been with us for a while persistently ignore the
following rules:

(1) Keep subjects separate: Only one topic per posting! Don't mix things up,
please.

(2) Stick to the subject title: Do not change the topic name in your
apply or is silly. I will change it if I think it needs to be.

(3) Edit quotes: If you hit the "reply" button and simply write your
response before or after an unedited, complete quoted LL-L issue, please do
not complain to me that I have removed the quoted text in the published
version. It is proper email behavior to quote only the portions that are
relevant to your response.

(4) Give credit: Let us know who the authors of quoted text portions are. If
you just hit the "reply" button, it will automatically give "Lowlands-L" as
the author. That will not do. You must be more specific, and you owe authors
the courtesy of crediting them by name.

(5) Signing off: If you feel like leaving the List, please do not send the
sign-off command to the posting address or to my personal address. Please
follow the instructions at the top and bottom of each LL-L issue (send the
command "signoff lowlands-l" to [lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org].

Address Changes
You do no longer need to sign off and on again if your email address
changes. It suffices if you send me (sassisch at yahoo.com) a message giving us
the old address and the new address. If you don't remember under which
address you were first subscribed, it will suffice if you give us only the
new address.

Temporary Absence
Before you take a trip or for some other reason need to stop LL-L mail
arriving for a given length of time, please write to us ([log in to unmask])
to let us know the date you want mail to be stopped and the date you want
mail to be resumed. As some of our members can attest, this has been working
really well, certainly beats the old, crude method of signing off and on
again. Once in a while people find themselves unsubscribed without notice.
Some of them immediately suspect the worst: that I have "booted them out"
for some infraction or other. (I know this for sure only about those that
contact me.) Please do not jump to this conclusion unless you have received
prior reprimands and warnings (which has occurred very rarely, not at all
for well over one year). If you find yourself disconnected from Lowlands-L,
the reason is most likely that the automated server has unsubscribed your
address because of repeated "bouncing," i.e., because your mail servers keep
informing the list server that you cannot be reached or is filled above
quota. Most of the time this is due to temporary disconnection. Sometimes
the reason is that a subscriber's junk mail filter (or "spam" filter) has
not been "told" to exempt Lowlands-L mail, which is why our mailings do not
arrive in your inboxes. So, if Lowlands-L mail stops coming, please first
check your "spam" filters and adjust them if necessary, and only contact me
about the problem if all of the above fails. Should you indeed be
disconnected, please write to me or resubmit an application (
http://www.lowlands-l.net/index.php?page=subscription). I'll be more than
happy to bring you swiftly back to the fold.

Again, dear Lowlanders, thanks for your support and cooperation and for all
those interesting contributions past and future!

Regards, Reinhard "Ron" F. Hahn
Co-Founder & Chief Editor
Lowlands-L http://www.lowlands-l.net

***
Welcome to those of you who just joined us since 18 December 2006:

Canada:
     British Columbia:
          Mission [1]
     Ontario:
          Hamilton [1]
          Paincourt [1]
Netherlands (Nederland):
     Gelderland:
          Lienden [1]
Norway (Norge, Noreg, Norga):
     Viken:
          Oslo [1]
South Africa
(Suid-Afrika, Mzantsi Afrika, Ningizimu Afrika):
     Gauteng:
          Pretoria (Tshwane) [1]
Thailand (ประเทศไทย):
     Chiang Mai Province (จังหวัดเชียงใหม่):