LL-L 'Grammar' 2007.02.06 (13) [E]

Wed Feb 7 01:50:18 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L - 06 February 2007 - Volume 13

From: "heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk" <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L 'Grammar' 2007.02.06 (03) [D/E/V]

>From: "Mathias Rösel" <Mathias.Roesel at t-online.de>
>Subject: LL-L 'Etymology' 2007.02.05 (01) [A/E]
>
>  "Lowlands-L List" <lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM> schrieb:
>
> From: "heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk " <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>
>Subject: LL-L 'Etymology' 2007.02.04 (08) [E]
>
>German past tense is like in English built with ablaut. Take, took, taken
>:
>Nehme, nahm, genommen.

I wasn't talking about the strong irregular verbs rather the regular weak
verbs

Ich stelle  ich stellte     ich schaue   ich schaute     ich kaufe  ich
kaufte

Heather

----------

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L 'Grammar' 2007.02.02 (02) [E]

> From: Jonny Meibohm <altkehdinger at freenet.de>
> Subject: LL-L 'Grammar' 2007.02.02 (02) [E]

> Dear Paul,
>
> you wrote about the domination of dative vs genetive in German:
>
> What??!!!??
>
> A quarter of my old declension tables are becoming obsolete????
>
> No- they are not, by no means, as Gabriele already pointed out! It's
> just the popular decline of a language, caused by people (sorry,
> Mathias, it's not you I'm thinking at at hte moment...) with bad,
> motherless education. I hate this as well as other people who try to
> spoil our good old LS ;-)- but Standard German should be able to
> defend itself! LS isn't able...

But I do include Mathias in this sorry lot, and you Jonny, and myself!
Surely no generation passes on its language to the next unchanged.

Surely there's no such language as standard German, and surely if there
is, it'll soon be obsolete!

Isn't it true that you need to have up-to-date language books to learn
from? I don't think it's just the teaching methods that have changed
between the old "Teach Yourself" books and the new ones - it's also the
languages themselves that have changed. You can learn dead languages
from the classics - Sweet's Anglo-Saxon, Gordon's Old Norse, Wright's
Gothic and so on - but this doesn't work for living languages.

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/