LL-L 'Idiomatica' 2007.02.06 (14) [E]

Wed Feb 7 01:52:32 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L - 06 February 2007 - Volume 14

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L 'Idiomatica' 2007.02.04 (04) [E]

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Idiomatica

> Perhaps in your opinion I broke this "rule" by adding an explanation
> of the term Eselsbrücke for those that do not know German.  The reason
> for this is simple: you wrote in English and used a German term with
> which most English speakers are not familiar.  Such an explanation
> would have been redundant had you written in German.

Jonny's term was "Donkey's Bridge". I could see that he meant a
mnemonic, but in English we do have the term "Ass's Bridge", which means
something quite different. Instead of being a memory aid for a "donkey"
it means a bridge that an "ass" is too stupid to get across.
Specifically, Euclid's fifth proposition  :)

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/