LL-L 'Grammar' 2007.02.11 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Sun Feb 11 23:45:04 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L - 11 February 2007 - Volume 03

From: Paul Tatum <ptatum at blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L 'Grammar'

Hello all,
 I'm not sure if this is 'Resources' or 'Grammar', but just Stumbled
across this article:
http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/004175.html<http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/%7Emyl/languagelog/archives/004175.html>

Paul Tatum

----------

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L 'Grammar' 2007.02.10 (05) [E]

From: Jonny Meibohm <altkehdinger at freenet.de>
and from Ron; Subject: LL-L 'Grammar' 2007.02.09 (08) [E]

Re grammatical genders.
I've been looking at the Lowlands languages that ditched this, trying to get
a handle on timescales.  Old English had gender, Middle English seems
largely to have lost it, but I suspect that in the spoken form it was
probably gone before 1066, only surviving in the formal, written version.
I'm not sure if Scots retained the feature longer than English, assuming it
no longer has it  (Sandy?).
And how soon after settlement in South Africa did Afrikaans lose it?
presumably the parent form of Dutch still used gender in the mid 17th
Century.

Paul Finlow-Bates