LL-L 'Yiddish' 2007.02.11 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 01:26:56 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L - 10 February 2007 - Volume 05

From: Mark Williamson <node.ue at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L 'Lexicon' 2007.02.10 (03) [E/Yiddish]

Speaking of which, does anyone know if I can find any information on
Western Yiddish online? I've only seen sociolinguistic accounts so
far, nothing that actually gives even a vague sample of the language,
except for mediaeval texts.

Mark

----------

From: Lee Goldberg <leybl_goldberg at yahoo.com>

There have been a number of errors, confusions, and mis-statements in this
discussion in connection with Yiddish.  For starters, "betn" and "got" are
ordinary, everyday Yiddish words (that they could be dismissed with such
apparent confidence amazes me).  "davenen" (probably ultimately from Arabic
'dawa', according to Paul Wexler) is the term refering specifically to
Jewish prayer (especially suggesting its characteristic swaying motion),
"mispalel zayn" the cultural neutral (incidentally, the word for 'neutral'
in Yiddish is "neytral", with an /ej/ distinct from the /aj/ in "lataynish"
'Latin').  "betn" and "tfile ton" are general.  There's no basis for
restricting "lehavdl" ('to distinguish') or "koydesh-khol" (sacred-profane)
pairs (pairs in which one member is favorable, the other unfavorable, or one
refers to Jews, the other non-Jews, or one humans, the other animals, etc.)
to nouns, for example, "esn" vs. "fresn" (humans as against animals),
"shtarbn"  vs. "peygern" for 'die'.  "leyenen" vs. "lezn" also works for
some speakers influenced by "Daytshmerish" (a Germanizing trend popular in
the early 20th century), as Ron observed. Also, "ikh" is perfectly good
Yiddish, and the universal written form, pronounced in my dialect
(Ukrainian) /jix/ and in other dialects /ix/, /ex/, or /jax/. Finally,
Weinreich's dictionary isn't a very good source for establishing Yiddish
usage; Uriel Weinreich was a notorious prescriptivist who filled his
dictionary with "recommended" forms that he wished Yiddish speakers would
use, rather than those they actually used.