LL-L 'Etymology' 2007.02.14 (04) [A/E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 19:38:34 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L - 14 February 2007 - Volume 04

From: Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
Subject: LL-L 'Etymology' 2007.02.14 (01) [A/E]

Haai almal,

Dankie, Roger! In Afrikaans word "toe" ook gebruik as tussenwerpsel, dus
soos in:

"Hulle het toe uiteindelik die pad gevat".

It seems like the East-Brabant 'teu' is used similarly as in the Afrikaans
'tog', as in the dialogue:

'Hy is Grieks.'

"Werklik?"

"Ja, tog!"

In recent years, young people have been copying SA English (or perhaps
American)

to confirm a statement using the E. 'do' - form, as in:

"Die kersfeesboom lyk sooo mooi"

"Ja, dit doen!"

Horrors!

Groete,

Elsie Zinsser

***

From: Roger Hondshoven < rhondshoven at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L 'Etymology' 2007.02.05 (01) [A/E]

Hello Elsie,

Thanks for your interesting notes on the usage of 'toe' in Afrikaans.
Unfortunately, my knowledge of Afrikaans is just poor. Nevertheless, I am
inclined to think your 'toe' is used rather more like in Dutch, where the
interjection 'toe' is used to introduce an admonition (toe, schiet op), a
kind of entreaty (toe, geef me nog een stuk taart) like English 'please' .

'Teu' in East-Brabant (and perhaps in Limburg) is used to emphasize that an
event, contrary to what might be expected, does/did take place. The meaning
is then somrthing like 'toch wel'. As such it reminds me very much of the
use of 'do' in English in similar occasions, as for instance in 'But he does
speak Russian! (contrary to what you think)/ He doesn't speak Russian. But
he does! '. In Getelands it would sound like 'Teu, teu, hij kent Russisch'.

Groete,

Roger Hondshoven

From: Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
Subject: LL-L 'Etymology' 2007.02.04 (03) [E]

Haai julle,

Interessant, Roger.

Ek het gedink 'teu' is dalk dieselfde as die tussenwerpsel in Afrikaans
'toe'

soos in:

-Nou toe nou! Wanneer het julle geland?

-Nou ja toe, dan moet julle seker maar hier oorslaap.

-Toe toe, gaan nou asseblief terug na julle klasse toe!

-Toe maar, hou op met huil.

-Ag, toe! Hou op katterig wees.

Groete,

Elsie Zinsser