LL-L 'Language diversity' 2007.01.01 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Mon Jan 1 16:53:10 UTC 2007

======================================================================= |
 L O W L A N D S - L * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226 |
 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com |
 Rules & Guidelines: http://www.lowlands-l.net/rules.php |
 Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org - lowlands.list at gmail.com |
 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net |
 Server Manual: http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8c/userindex.html |
 Archives: http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/lowlands-l.html |
 Encoding: Unicode (UTF-8) [Please switch your view mode to it.] |
 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com |

 You have received this because you have been subscribed upon request. |
 To unsubscribe, please send the command "signoff lowlands-l" as message |
 text from the same account to listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or |
 sign off at http://linguistlist.org/subscribing/sub-lowlands-l.html. |

 A=Afrikaans Ap=Appalachian B=Brabantish D=Dutch E=English F=Frisian |
 L=Limburgish LS=Lowlands Saxon (Low German) N=Northumbrian |
 S=Scots Sh=Shetlandic V=(West) Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeeuws) |

L O W L A N D S - L - 01 January 2007 - Volume 02

From: Karl-Heinz Lorenz <Karl-Heinz.Lorenz at gmx.net>
Subject: LL-L 'Language diversity' 2006.12.31 (02) [E]

Sandy Fleming wrote:
> Around the same time the Beatles were insisting on sticking to their
> Liverpool accents, even when singing, and a certain aspiring prime
> minister shot himself in the foot when the group were to be awarded MBEs
> by the queen:
>
> TV Interviewer: Ted Heath says you won't be able to speak like that at
> the palace, John.
> John Lennon: We're not voting for Ted Heath.

Listening to the Beatles talking in documentaries I always thought and think
that Lennon is the one who sounds different, whereas the others especially
George Harrison speak/spoke quite close to what I'd call Standard English.
Did Lennon also speak dialect or was it mostly simply an accent? At least
the song "Maggie Mae" on LP "Let it Be" seems to me more than accent.

Karl-Heinz

----------

From: jverhoeven <jverhoeven at xtra.co.nz>
Subject: LL-L 'Language diversity' 2006.12.31 (09) [E]

Pat Reynolds writes
When learning languages, I think it important that people
are exposed to a range of pronunciations (or at least, I find it
helpful, and I have a dear friend from Luxembourg who was fluent in
English  was absolutely flummoxed when addressed in accented English
from Lancashire).

Different accents do cause problems, my daughter when about eight, brought
up
 speaking English in New Zealand, on listening to a work collegue of mine
who had recently
emigrated from Glasgow, asked me later what language she had been speaking.
Funnily enough I have friends who come from Edinborough whom she had
knon since her birth and she has never had problems understanding them.

Happy New Year to you all, although I comment infrequently I do enjoy
reading and learning from all that comes to my mailbox.
Regards
Joyce Verhoeven
jverhoeven at xtra.co.nz

----------

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L 'Language diversity' 2006.12.31 (06) [E]

From: Paul Tatum < ptatum at blueyonder.co.uk>

Happy New Year to followers of the Julian calendar, TTFN to everybody else,
Paul Tatum.

***
Not for another 12 days or so actually...it's only New Year in the Gregorian
Calendar!

Paul Finlow-Bates

----------

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>

From: Pat Reynolds < pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk>

 In message
< 57c981290612311028x72da0cc5q9c447f9b0d12c1c0 at mail.gmail.com>,
Lowlands-L List <lowlands.list at gmail.com> i,e, Sandy writes
>I'd be circumspect with those sort of books, Paul. I used various such
>books as my French was getting more advanced, but nothing any of them
>said seemed to hold any water, not even in Paris. I think that for a
>non-native, the path to becoming 'typical' in a language is to learn
>the
>straightforward stuff at home, anything fancy really has to be picked
>up
>'in the field'. There's a huge danger of just sounding daft to
>everybody
>- like someone from Germany with an underdeveloped English accent
>arriving in London and trying to speak like Eastenders. Everybody would
>_much_ rather a foreigner speak a fairly standard form of the language,
>at least until he's lived long enough somewhere to sound like he's from
>there!

I hesitate to chip in, with your ability to learn languages, and my
limited experience, but I think this applies only to _speaking_, not to
_listening_. When learning languages, I think it important that people
are exposed to a range of pronunciations (or at least, I find it
helpful, and I have a dear friend from Luxembourg who was fluent in
English  was absolutely flummoxed when addressed in accented English
from Lancashire).

Cheers,

Pat
(new year's plan: learn enough Japanese to get by)
--
Pat Reynolds
******************************

Difficulties with non-standard English don't just afflict second-language
speakers; a lot of Americans seem to have particular problems with English
regional speech.  Actor Don Johnson was on Jonathan Ross's show a week or so
back, and he commented that despite many visits here, a lot of the people he
encounters might as well be speaking a completely different language.

Paul Finlow-Bates

 * Please submit postings to lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org. |
 * Postings will be displayed unedited in digest form. |
 * Please display only the relevant parts of quotes in your replies. |
 * Commands for automated functions (including "signoff lowlands-l") |
   are to be sent to listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or at |
   http://linguistlist.org/subscribing/sub-lowlands-l.html. |