LL-L 'Names' 2007.01.02 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 17:15:42 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L - 02 January 2007 - Volume 01

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L 'Names' 2006.12.31 (04) [E]

> From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
> Subject: LL-L 'Names' 2006.12.28 (01) [E]
>
> Have a look at an amused native English speaker's face hearing a
> German say 'Wor-cester' or 'Lei-cester'- though the correct
> pronunciation somehow is against the rules.

I'm not sure how well the English cope with this sort of thing either.
Of course, Worcester and Leicester are big places and well-known (though
the spellings "Wooster" and "Lester" are seen in surnames - no, it's not
just Bertie Wooster, I was driving past a garage a few months ago and
noticed that the proprietors had the surname "Wooster").

But when it comes to smaller places the correct pronunciation only seems
to be known to the locals, how well it's known further afield may depend
on how well known the town is. For example, not everybody seems to know
to pronounce "Leominster" (in Herefordshire) as "Lemster", although
natives will often correct your pronunciation (as happened to me!). On
the other hand no one will correct your (English, as opposed to Welsh)
pronunciation of "Caerleon" (a famous Roman heritage town near Newport,
South Wales) to "Killian" unless you actually live in the area.

I don't know how many other English (and even a few Welsh?) place names
I might be pronouncing incorrectly, that sort of knowledge just seems to
come on a need-to-know basis - though for all I know this sort of thing
might be taught in English schools.

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/