LL-L 'Honors' 2007.01.07 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 03:08:50 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L - 07 January 2007 - Volume 07

From: Ed Alexander <edsells at cogeco.ca>
Subject: LL-L 'Introduction' 2007.01.07 (03) [E/S]

At 02:34 PM 01/07/07 -0800, you wrote:

Keep that up and you too might be so lucky as to have the Great Kahuna award
you a place in the Hall of Fame and Fragrant Names (
http://www.lowlands-l.net/treasures/kahuna.htm).

Ron:  I had not seen this before, and am quite humbled by my inclusion.
However, I take it the honorific is due more to the lack of the word for
squirrel in the Hawaiian language than to my humble beginnings in the Windy
City.

Ed Alexander

---------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Honors

Well, well, Ed, if this didn't entice you out of the woodwork for once!  And
it caused a spontaneous channeling of the Great Kahuna because of your
misinterpretation of your Fragrant Name and by your baseless allegation that
the Hawaiian language has no word for "squirrel."

Hihio-mai-kula refers to sudden, unexpected icy gusts of wind from the
Northern Prairies.

In pertubation over your baseless allegation, the Kahuna gave you a
nickname.  Go and check it out.  I suspect he's referring to an ancient
etymological attempt on your part.  (See below.)

And for some reason the Great One saw fit to give our Theo a nickname as
well, saying that Theo will know what it is about and that this will prevent
another hanana lole moe pō  "pajamas incident" (whatever he may be meaning
by that).

Aloha a me nā kalokalo leo `ana no ke ola!

So there, Aleta.  Now you know what you have to look forward to in this
sometimes silly bunch.

Reinhard/Ron

***

L O W L A N D S - L   *  21.AUG.1997 (01) * ISSN 1089-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Edwin Michael Alexander <edsells at networx.on.ca>
Subject: Re: LL-L: "Word origins" [E] - LOWLANDS-L 20.AUG.1997 (14)

At 16:05 20/08/97 -0700, you wrote:

>> Dutch     Afrikaans   German         N. Low Saxon               English
>> eik       eike        Eiche          eik (Eek)                  oak
>> eikel     ekker       Eichel         ekker/ekkel (Ecker/Eckel)  acorn
>> eekhoorn  eekhorinkie Eichho"rnchen  katteiker (Katteker)       squirrel
>>                                      eikkat (Eekkatt)
>>                                      eikhorn(tje) (Eekhoorn(tje))

I am sorry if I am mistaken, but I believe that acorn is from a - corn, the
corn or "seed" of the a or more commonly, the oak, tree.   How the germanic
rodent Eichhorn is derived from this I can only theorize that since these
little fellows are always dropping out of the them, it was a colloquialism
to call them "oak seeds", much as we might call someone a "son of a gun"
(and I'm sure we can all think of more).

Ed Alexander