LL-L 'Etymology' 2007.01.09 (01) [E]

Tue Jan 9 17:50:15 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L - 09 January 2007 - Volume 01

From: Theo Homan <theohoman at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L 'Morphology' 2007.01.08 (07) [E]

> From: John Duckworth <johncduckworth at yahoo.co.uk>
> Subject: Lexica (E./ LS)
>
> Hi, John!
>
> First an admission, to my shame:
>
> For some strange reason I wrote *Swulk* 'swallow'
> when I meant to write *
> Swark* ... These things happen mostly because my
> mind works faster than my
> fingers ... It was already on to the next thing or
> two.
>
> Both words have feminine gender.

Hello,

If my memory is serving me:
Nothing much is known about the origin of 'swark'; but
in dutch we have 'zwerk' with the same meaning.

The  archaic word 'zwerk' is known very well because
the famous poet Markies De Canteclaer used it a lot as
a rhyming word in his poetical works.

Am I right that 'swark' is a typical 'english' word,
i.e. not-u.s.english  a.s.o.?

vr.gr.
Theo Homan

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Thanks, Theo.

The sound correspondences are certainly perfect.

> Am I right that 'swark' is a typical 'english' word,
> i.e. not-u.s.english  a.s.o.?

It's a verb, and it's no longer used, as far as I know, and The Oxford
English Dictionary seems to indicate this too:

to swerk 'to be(come) gloomy'

Old English sweorcan (past swearc), swearcian 'to be darkened', 'to be
gloomy', 'to be(come) sad', gisweorc 'cloud'

Old Saxon swerkan 'to become sad', gisworkan 'clouded', 'darkened',
giswerk'darkness'

Middle Saxon: swerk, swark 'dark clouds', 'sorrow', 'grief'

Middle Dutch: gheswerc, swerc 'cloudy sky', 'clouds'

Old German swercan 'to become dark or gloomy', giswerc, kiswork 'dark
clouds'

Old English (1205):
Swurken vnder sunnen sweorte weolcnen.

My translation:
Black clouds darkened the sky beneath the sun.