LL-L 'Website' 2007.01.13 (03) [E]

Sat Jan 13 20:37:53 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L - 12 January 2007 - Volume 03

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Website

Thanks to those who have been sending in pictures for the revamped websites.

This morning I saved one submission from everlasting doom.  It did not carry
the requested subject header "LL-L Pictures", and the GMail filter thought
itself so clever and sent it straight to the SPAM directory ... Luckily I
paid attention for a change.

So, folks, please do suppress your creative urges when it comes to the
subject header!  Our special filter marks all messages under the correct
header "LL-L Pictures", and this prevents them from getting lost in the
shuffle.

I wrote:

<quote>
How about a gallery of members' creative works at which we could also
exhibit written works, such as poems/songs, short stories, essays and
mini-articles -- all around the topic "Lowlands"?  Feel free to use any
language you prefer. If you're more of a cook or baker, feel free to share
your favorite Lowlands recipes (with your own twists so as to avoid
copyright problems).

To participate, you don't need to be from the original Lowlands or
descendents of people that are.  Anyone is welcome.  Just express what the
Lowlands mean to you, be it the geographical area, the intellectual
construct or the emotional response.  Science fiction?  Sure!  Why not?
Performance art captured on video?  Go for it!  Not into serious stuff?
Make it funny (but try not to offend people all over the place)! Faking a
treatise or poem in an old language? Absolutely!  "Let 'er rip," as
Australians would say.  Most importantly: have fun doing it!

Need some help overcoming your lack of confidence?  The Team is happy to
help you with pep talk and stroking ... whatever it takes.
</quote>

OK, folks.  Let's make sure we're all on the same page.  (No pun intended.)

This may have been a bit confusing with all those proposals flying around
the room.  So I'll try to clarify it.  We have separate projects or project
proposals going on here:

   - Anniversary site
   an ongoing project already under way:
   http://lowlands-l.net/anniversary/
      - Translations and narrations requested
      - LL-L members' introductions requested
      - Main site
   an impending effort to adapt the main site (http://lowlands-l.net/)
   visually to the anniversary site
      - Pictures requested (http://lowlands-l.net/pics/)
   - Members' Gallery ("Talent Show")
   - Proposed exhibition of LL-L members' creative works under the title
      "My Lowlands"
      "Creative works" is not limited to artistic creations but
      includes research and scholarly articles.

The "Gallery" would give any LL-L member opportunities to express in the
medium of their choice what the Lowlands mean to them. The assumption is
that they want to share this with others and that their works can and may be
exhibited. Please bear in mind that "Lowlands" need not have a geographical
definition. We would prefer these works to be suitable for all ages and for
all people in the world. Just slightly risqué or somewhat erotic might be
able to pass, overtly sexual not so, nor would any put-downs of any types of
people, religions or nations. This disclaimer is not to imply that you
wouldn't be able to stir the pot and rattle some cages, to challenge
conventions or policies, to be eccentric, unconventional, "outrageous."
And, yes, humor (including satire) is definitely permissible within these
parameters.

Most of the time it takes just one person to start for others to muster the
courage to follow.  Who will it be?

Regards and thanks!