LL-L 'Website' 2007.01.13 (04) [E]

Sat Jan 13 23:50:33 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L - 12 January 2007 - Volume 04

From: "Mathias Rösel" <Mathias.Roesel at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L 'Website' 2007.01.12 (04) [E]

  From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Website

"Talk" to me, and I'll pass it on to the rest of the LL-L Team.

Hi, Mathias!

I hope you don't mind me posting your response.  I wasn't sure but then
thought it was all right because the information is found at your websites
anyway.

well, it came as surprise, but it's okay as far as there is no doubt left
that it was your idea, not mine >B)

 If you're a composer

The lute is an extinct instrument, so to say. It was at home in any hut or
palace during 15th to 18th centuries, but today it is unknown to most people
(just like Low Saxon, in a way). There hardly is a living composer for this
instrument, unfortunately. I'm an amateur player, belonging to lute
communities, e. g. the Lute Society of America
http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~lsa <http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/%7Elsa> or
Lute Society http://www.lutesoc.co.uk or die Deutsche Lautengesellschaft
www.lautengesellschaft.de

 you could compose a Lowlands tune, perhaps in 17th-century Low Country's
style or such

There's loads of stuff extant, already. 16th century composers and
publishers like Tilman Susato or Pierrre Phalese in the Low Countries had
their title pages written in common laguage, of course, i. e. Low Saxon
(some may call it Dutch). Same applies to early 17th century Nicolas Vallet
(Amsterdam). One thing I'd love to lay my hands upon is a manuscript with
Scottish tunes for the baroque lute, dating from the time shortly before
Italians in Scotland (like e. g. Geminiani) coined what today is usually
called Scottish folk style. The Balcarres Manuscript, as it is called,
unfortunately is not in the public domain. An English noble family owns it
and is having difficulties with releasing more than five pieces of music per
century. Well...

 , or something new.  If you are not, how about recording a "representative"
piece.  We'd post the sound file.

I could give some links so that you can listen to the sound. You can find a
bunch of examples here:
http://community.livejournal.com/instrumenticons/34820.html.

 But it would be nice to post the sheet music as well, at least for the sake
of deaf people.

Music for the lute was usually notated in tablature, not in staff notation,
thoughout the centuries. Please find more here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tablature (I wrote the part on German
tablature). There is a picture of so called Italian lute tablature.
Tablature will make it hard for people to follow the music who are used to
it.
--
All the best,

Mathias