LL-L 'Lexicon' 2007.01.14 (01) [E]

Sun Jan 14 23:10:18 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L - 14 January 2007 - Volume 01

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L 'Lexicon' 2007.01.13 (01) [E/LS]

From Heather Rendall:
I am so old that I was taught TWO words for telephone: Fernsprecher and
Fernhör.
I have frequently used them as examples of how a language  has to invent
new words for new inventions and how these can just as easily go out of use
as the device is improved.

The Fernsprecher/ Fernhör suited the wall mounted early telephones with
separate
mouthpiece and earpiece

And I seem to remember seeing Fernsprecher as a sign in Post Offices still
in the 60s.

But as the invention developed and became all of a piece -which word was
to be used? Easy to reject both and use Telephon!  and then Telefon.

How did Handy come about? What's that from? It sounds more like a comment
than a name!

best wishes

Heather [Rendall]

I was also taught "der Ferhsprecher" at school, and remember seeing photos
of German phone boxes with it written on the side.  My current Collins
German dictionary doesn't even mention the word, but my "Duits/Nederlands
Woordenboek", 1975, does.  I find it interesting that whilst "Fernsprecher"
seems to have died, "der Fernseher" does not appear to under threat from any
form of word based on television.

I believe one of the reasons English has tended to create pseudo-classical
neologisms rather than compound Germanic English ones, is precisely because
the meaning isn't immediately clear.  You don't have to know that
"television" comes from Greek for "far" and Latin for "sight" to know it's a
box that shows pictures from far away. A "farseer" by contrast could be TV,
a telescope, binoculars, even a clairvoyant!

Paul Finlow-Bates