LL-L 'Language maintenance' 2007.01.14 (02) [A/E]

Sun Jan 14 23:16:31 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L - 14 January 2007 - Volume 02

From: Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L 'Language maintenance' 2007.01.11 (03) [E/LS]

Beste Jonny, Arend,  Ron:

Onderwerp: LL-L 'Language maintenance'

Ron, I agree about a language surviving by virtue of its speakers WANTING it
to: There are many better, like Hebrew, that had to contend with deference &
veneration to be reborn, but Afrikaans is a good example, my grandmother
told us, bearing in mind the overwhelming psychological advantage of
Nederlands. Education, part of our Puritan heritage, held so high a place in
the ideals of the community that it was difficult to accord anything less
than priority to an educated man & the language he was educated in. Every
family burst its purse-strings to send at least one child for further
education. This fact was noted repeatedly, & with wonder, by English
visitors & conquerers, between Anthony Trollop & John Buchan. Against this
backdrop Afrikaans had an uphill battle to survive, & it did.

What exercises me is the device of adaptation to new things in the language,
that some see as a threat to the germ of the language, & others simply don't
care. Modern English for example borrows. My Afrikaans prefers to find a
construction based on native language forms, but anglicisms also occur, to
the enrichment of the tongue. There is a polite usage, either way, to
approach any subject in the tongue addressed, even if you must borrow or
construct, & in my opinion this is how a language is learned, preserved, &
rendered fit for whatever the World compells it to bear witness to. Yes,
I will end a sentence with a proposition, as a scholarly convict told the
gaoler's daughter... It is actually Nations who do not care that die, not
the tongue they speak. Let not Trelawny die!

Ron, Vlad, & all my friends, I'm sorry that I haven't more than lurked this
last long time. Ek ook, Arend, geniet die inset van ander vêr verby my eie.
Ron, part of the problem is that the few messages I sent got bounced by an
iffy system, & I really hadn't the spirit to persue the subject. I hope that
is dealt with now. Anyhow, others inevitably covered the subject as well as
& generally better than I.

They say it is an after-effect of the drug-regime, this langour, & I sleep
little, & when I do I have evil dreams. I when I hear what people pay for a
buzz like this in the streets! Words fail me.

Anyhow, Aanhou wen.

Mark

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language maintenance

Haai, Mark!

Thanks for writing.  Apologies aren't necessary.  Just keep on getting
better.

Indeed, both Hebrew and Afrikaans are great examples of adaptation,
Afrikaans also of resiliency.

Say hi to Ruth!

Yours,