LL-L 'Etymology' 2007.01.15 (06) [E/LS]

Tue Jan 16 02:32:56 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L - 15 January 2007 - Volume 06

From: A Victorie <victorie.a at home.nl>
Subject: LL-L 'Etymology' 2007.01.15 (01) [E]

Moi Leslie,

Wele wet, kuj hier wat mit.

Goodgaon,

Arend Victorie.
*Munchkins* are the natives of the fictional Munchkin Country in the Oz
books by L. Frank Baum. They first appeared in the 1900 novel *The Wonderful
Wizard of Oz*, in which they are described as being somewhat short of
stature, and wear only blue.

They are probably better known from their depiction in the 1939 film *The
Wizard of Oz*, in which they are played by adult midgets and dress in
brightly multicolored outfits.
*Appearance*

The following is an excerpt from chapter two of *The Wonderful Wizard of Oz*,
in which Dorothy first meets four munchkins:

"*...she noticed coming toward her a group of the queerest people she had
ever seen. They were not as big as the grown folk she had always been used
to; but neither were they very small. In fact, they seemed about as tall as
Dorothy, who was a well-grown child for her age, although they were, so far
as looks go, many years older.*
*Origin of the Term* Baum never explained where the term came from, but Baum
researcher Brian Attebery has hypothesised that there might be a connection
to the emblem of the Bavarian city of Munich, known as the Münchner Kindl
[1] (Munich Child). The symbol was originally a 13th century statue of a
monk, looking down from the town hall in Munich. Over the years the image
was reproduced many times, for instance as a figure on Beer steins, and
eventually evolved into a child wearing a pointed hood. Baum's family had
German origins: Baum could have seen one such reproduction in his childhood,
and woven his story around