LL-L 'Etymology' 2007.01.16 (01) [E]

Tue Jan 16 15:55:12 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L - 16 January 2007 - Volume 01

From: Arthur Jones <arthurobin2002 at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L 'Members' 2007.01.15 (07) [E]

Re: LL-L 'Members' 2007.01.15 (08) [E]

Beste Lagglanners,

Jonny schreev (ad causam Piet Bult, sin farwel):- Show quoted text -

<From: jonny  <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
<Subject: LL-L 'Members' 2007.01.13 (02) [E]

<Beste Artur,

<wow- you've got *the* feeling for our Piet!

<We two, Piet and me, meanwhile became sort of friends during and caused by
our <common LL-times, and I could find out him to be an extremely sensitive
man- hard <engaged in his ‚Stellingwerf's streektaal'. Full of back-grounded
humor, open to the <world through his very iridescent life as an European by
convincement.

<Whithout having asked for your permission I've sent your posting to him,
and, as far as I <know, you got an answer.

<Let him tidy up his mind- I'm still convinced he'll be back whithin a time.

<Thanks; good to know to be sorrounded by people like you!

<Greutens/Regards

<Johannes "Jonny" Meibohm

<BTW: The _robin_ in your e-mail-address isn't a hint for any ornithological
preference, is <it??
Dear Jonny and All:

Yes, I got an answer from Piet. He is a very thoughtful and kind Lowlander:
a deep Fries, if you will. ("Tiefkuehltruhe"?)

As to iridescence, I think that's a really cool form of light. I went for
fluorescence myself, hence I tend to stay at room temperature. I envy those
such as our Ron the Incandescent, however, as the heat permeates all around
(see the red hair?), and is, of course, essential for incantations.

Incidentally, the ROBIN in my e-mail address is my wife and law partner,
Robin Wiseman. She, like Ron, is redhaired and incandescent. As a bird, she
is thorny-logical, but almost never ornithological.

Ron and Jonny, a few weeks ago there was a thread on Lowlands-L about the
noun/verb "fleth". I was travelling at the time and could not participate.
But I was reminded of my times in Stade (Niederelbe), and recalled,
especially in this icy season, the way the huge, dirty chunks of ice floated
first down the Elbe with the outgoing tide, then back up the same route when
the tide came in again.

The name of the place was Butzfletherbutendiek. Some British friends of mine
thought the name was hilarious, but I never quite caught the joke. Any
suggestions?

Met frindelike groeten,

Arthur

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Thanks, Arthur ... I think.

I suppose my incandescence arises from a near perpetual state of
effervescence.

> Butzfletherbutendiek

Well, the butendiek part means "outer dike," or "outside the dike," I
suppose.

Fleth is an older German way of spelling Fleet.

Butzfleth must be a place name, because the whole thing means "Outer Dike of
Butzfleth."

What this Butz thing is I do not know.  The affricate /ts/ is very rare in
the language and tends to arise either from contraction or suffixing (if it
doesn't have its root in Slavonic loans).  I rather suspect that it's the
genitive /s/ as in English "'s", in which case there may have been a person
by the name of *But" or *"Bud" ...

This is as far as I can get on this one.

Say hi to Robin, my fellow incandescent light.