LL-L 'Funny foreign' 2007.01.19 (01) [E/LS]

Fri Jan 19 22:10:51 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L - 19 January 2007 - Volume 01

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>

* Beste Ron,

You wrote:
*

*In my experience, many British people find certain "German" names and signs
funny, and some get the giggles like primary school kids everytime they see
the sign Ausfahrt ((freeway) exit).
*

*In Dutch, "uitvaart" means "funeral" (E), but I guess their sense of humor
is not thàt morbid, and maybe more of a scatological nature in this case.

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx*

For some reason, it may not have reached you I'm afraid, 'cause I haven't
seen it on the list yet...did I use the wrong address?

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx

----------

From: Heiko Evermann <heiko.evermann at gmx.de>
Subject: LL-L 'Etymology' 2007.01.16 (05) [E]

> > In my experience, many British people find certain "German" names and
> > signs funny, and some get the giggles like primary school kids
> > everytime they see the sign Ausfahrt ((freeway) exit).
I know, explaining jokes is not funny, but I really did not understand the
joke. So what is funny about Ausfahrt, if you only know English and no
German?

By the way: when I was at school we had a class tour to London and guess
what
we found: the "Harrow gift shop" (German "gift" = "poison").

Greetings from Hamburg,

Heiko

----------

From: Karl-Heinz Lorenz <Karl-Heinz.Lorenz at gmx.net>
Subject: LL-L 'Funny foreign' 2007.01.18 (01) [E]

Arthur Jones about High-German:

> ...that Pannonian Mutation of Visigothic/Langobardic/Alemannic ...

could be, I'm not sure ... but let's investigate ssiss:

> What would be the official
> Berlin/Munich term? Aussendeich am Buetzerkanal?

The mainstream Bavarian or Austrian expert would tell you something like:
Bitzelbacherlsaussendeich. But you're pretty much closer to what I think is
right: "Aussendeich von Bützelbach" or "Deich außerhalb von Bützelbach" or
"Aussendeich (Bitzelbach)"

It's the same with Jonny's "Donaudampfschifffahrtskapitänspatent":

One of sseese "Wortungetümer", but I would say: "Das Patent für Käpitäne der
Dampfschifffahrt auf der Donau".

And the same goes for: "Donaudampfschifffahrtsgesellschaftskapitän". I would
say: "Der/Ein Kapitän der Gesellschaft der Dampfschifffahrt auf der Donau"

But in fact the expression: "Donaudampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft" and its
abbreviation "DDSG" exists:

http://www.ddsg-blue-danube.at/

So a good choices is "Kapitänspatent der DDSG".

(attention, I'm fooling around a bit from now on)

It becomes even clearer if you put it into:

Austrian-Dialect: "Des Patent vo an Kapitän vo deara Gsöhschoft de wos de
Schiff de Donau aufe und owe foan laußt."

("poor") Austrian-German: "Das Patent vom Kapitän von der Gesellschaft die
was die Schiffe die Donau auf und ab fahren lässt."

(End of fooling around)

Generally Mr.and Mrs Average /Herr und Frau Efferitsch in Pannonian Austria
and also in the other German speaking countries rather use sentences or
abbreviations than these long word constructions at least in everyday
speech.

Is ssiss maybe a lowlands and ingvaeonic feature in German and espescially
in sse Pannonian-Austrian German? Or is it simply more practical to use
short sentences or abbreviations instead of long compound words?

Regards
Karl-Heinz

From: A Victorie <victorie.a at home.nl>
Subject: LL-L 'Funny foreign' 2007.01.18 (03) [E]

Moi leeglanders,

Bij oons in Drenthe bint ok grappige plaatsnamen,

Wij hebt (Amen, Spijkerboor, Nooitgedacht, Witten, Geelbroek,)

En in Gröning lig 't plekkie: (Doodstil….)

Arend Victorie
<http://www.gmx.net/de/go/topmail>