LL-L 'Phonology' 2007.01.25 (03) [E]

Thu Jan 25 18:04:24 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L - 23 January 2007 - Volume 03

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L 'Etymology' 2007.01.24 (04) [E]

Sandy wrote:

One problem with this, I think, is that for any group of words that fit
the theory you can find plenty that don't. It might be that any given
language offers so much variety in semantic-to-phonetic relationships
that you can look for order and find order, or you can look for chaos
and find chaos.

If you look at sign languages, you'll find that visual onomatopoeia are
much more common than aural are in spoken languages. The
reason for this seems clear enough: much more of human discourse
describes what we see than describes what we hear. The proportion of
words that are onomatopoetic depends on how much of the human world
occurs in the medium of the language, and therefore in spoken languages
onomatopoeia are relatively thin on the ground.

Thanks, Sandy! A very interesting lesson you gave.

But- the last, regarding sign languages, brings me to the idea, that words
which obviously are onomatopoetic could be younger- they haven't gone
through a lot of vowel shiftings and changes as older ones might have.
Because: sign languages also have been invented and developed in younger
times.

Just an idea...

Greutens/Regards

Johannes "Jonny" Meibohm