LL-L 'Lexicon' 2007.01.25 (05) [E/LS]

Thu Jan 25 22:21:07 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L - 25 January 2007 - Volume 05

From: "list at marcusbuck.org" <list at marcusbuck.org>
Subject: LL-L 'Phonology' 2007.01.25 (03) [E]

Hey, Reini, Du oul Hoyhner-Buck ;-),

Du hesst wat vergeeten!!!!

Du hesst all opp eyn Mail antert,dey ick an Paul Finlow-Bates schreeben
haar, un dey hesst Du no gonne veröffentlicht:

Dear Paul,

you wrote:

> I don't know where "lautmalerish" comes from, but it's definitely my
offering for "Wort der Woche" at my next German Conversation Group meeting!

> I wish English had such a wonderful word rather than a clumsy Greek
borrowing.

Psst- don't say such things! It could encourage Heiko and Ron to make one of
their dreadful LS-translations ;-).

Wat schöllt de Lüü' nu woll van mi denken??

Greutens/Regards

Johannes "Jonny" Meibohm

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Jonny,

Dat hev ik man dochen al bröcht.  Schulst maal up-passen, olde Haini!  Un
myn kumpaan Heiko het al daar up antert.

Reinhard/Ron

---------

From: Heiko Evermann <heiko.evermann at gmx.de>
Hi Ron, hi Johny,
> What makes you assume that?  Can you think of any sign language that was
> invented and adopted in recent times?  I thought the roots of sign
> languages were somewhere in the murky past just like those of other types
> of languages -- and all languages are in a perpetual state of development
>
> ... with the exception of North German Low Saxon, of course, because
> according to some people its development is verboten, and, unbeknownst to
> Amnesty International, it's sitting bound, gagged and blindfolded in
> solitary confinement at the language police headquarters somewhere between
> Marsch and Geest.
Heel Gallien is in röömsche Hand ... Heel Gallien? Nee! Dor gifft dat een
Dörp
vull mit opsternaatsche Mannslüüd un Froons,...

> > Psst- don't say such things! It could encourage Heiko and Ron to make
one
> of their dreadful LS-translations ;-).
>
> You bet your sweet ninny, mate!  It looks like you're finally catching on
> to the fact that Heiko and I are among the top kingpins of a global
> conspiracy network dedicated to the purpose of keeping you in a perpetual
> state of exasperation.

Well, the conspiracy is gaining speed. This week I have had two long
conversations with Heinrich Thies (Fehrs-Gilde) about spell checking. We
already have a small one for KDE. The Fehrs-Gilde was thinking about one for
Microsoft Word, where unfortunately the interface is not published. But we
programmers form KDE do know how to do such things under Linux and we are
confident that we can get that stuff up and running for the spell checker
that is used in OpenOffice (Linux+Windows). How about this:
We from KDE will do the programming of the word list (and we are even
considering to dump our deviant spellings of Latin words and follow Sass in
Teleskop instead of Teleskoop!) In exchange the Fehrs-Gilde will give us the
complete Low Saxon word list from Johnnys most hated dictionary under the
GPL
plus all the nice neologism lists from http://www.fehrsgill-sass.marless.de
We will merge all this into a quite comprehensive Low Saxon spell checker
that
would be available off the Internet for free (the GPL licence is just
great).
As this would specifically be a Sass-checker Johnny now has the great
opportunity to officially file his complaints. I have already invited him
several times. I have even given him the telephone number of Fehrs-Gilde. I
have checked with Hein Thies. Johnny hasn't called. All complaints that
arrive in time will be considered. All others won't.

Kind regards and special greetings to Johnny,

Heiko|