LL-L 'Traditions' 2007.01.29 (04) [E/S]

Tue Jan 30 01:24:57 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L - 29 January 2007 - Volume 04

From: Aleta Turner <aletamosquito at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L 'Traditions' 2007.01.27 (05) [E/German]

Thank you, Ron!  You actually did a lot more
than I was intending to ask.  I appreciate your
taking the time!

I translations of songs/poems are extra-
difficult because rhyme and meter.   I
enoyed reading the line-by-line that
you gave.

Aleta

>  From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com >
> Aleta:
>
>  > Would you mind providing a translation
> > into English of this song?
>
> Hmmm ... that's a pretty tall order.  This relies very heavily on rhyme,
and
> you can't replicate this in another language.  It doesn't sound funny when
> you do. <snip>
> Ok ...
<snip>

----------

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L 'Traditions' 2007.01.29 (02) [D/E/LS]

Thanks Arend, Gabriele and Ron for given me all the information I possibly
could use. If now I could only get rid of the song. It has been playing in
my head all day long. Jacqueline

(By the way, I did not know 'het Roverslied. What a shame! I could have used
it when my children were small)

Gabriele, maybe you can help me to the rest of the text of what must be an
"aria of world renown" in Germany. I do not know the beginning stanza nor
the last one, but the second (or third) one is something like " Kein Absatz
mehr am Stiefel, kein Knopf mehr an's Jacket, da - - -- geworden, und - - --
 net, von Tria,tria Hopsa.

 etc.I would love to go to my grave singing that as louldly as I could.
Jacqueline

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Traditions

More on the theme of bords marrying, please see below (with acknowledgment
of our Sandy's acquainting me with this Scots tale a while back), with my
inserted glosses.

*Marriage of Robin Redbreast and The Wren*

There was an auld [old] grey Poussie Baudrons [a cat's name], and she gaed
[went] awa' [away] down by a water-side, and there she saw a wee
[little]Robin Redbreast happin'
[hopping] on a brier; and Poussie Baudrons says: "Where's tu [thou = you]gaun
[going], wee Robin?" And wee Robin says: "I'm gaun awa' to the king to sing
him a sang [song] this guid [good] Yule [Christmas] morning." And Poussie
Baudrons says: "Come here, wee Robin, and I'll let you see a bonny white
ring round my neck." But wee Robin says: "Na, na! grey Poussie Baudrons; na,
na! Ye worry't the wee mousie; but ye'se no worry me."

So wee Robin flew awa' till he came to a fail fauld-dike [grassy fold-dike],
and there he saw a grey greedy gled [kite] sitting. And grey greedy gled
says: "Where's tu gaun, wee Robin?" And wee Robin says: "I'm gaun awa' to
the king to sing him a sang this guid Yule morning." And grey greedy gled
says: "Come here, wee Robin, and I'll let you see a bonny [lovely] feather
in my wing." But wee Robin says: "Na, na! grey greedy gled; na, na! Ye
pookit [plucked, stripped] a' the wee lintie [linnet]; but ye'se no
[not]pook me."

So wee Robin flew awa' till he came to the cleuch o' a craig [face of a
rock], and there he saw slee [sly] Tod Lowrie [name of the fox] sitting. And
slee Tod Lowrie says: "Where's tu gaun, wee Robin?" And wee Robin says: "I'm
gaun awa' to the king to sing him a sang this guid Yule morning." And slee
Tod Lowrie says: "Come here, wee Robin, and I'll let ye see a bonny spot on
the tap o' my tail." But wee Robin says: "Na, na! slee Tod Lowrie; na, na! Ye
worry't the wee lammie [little lamb]; but ye'se no worry me."

So wee Robin flew awa' till he came to a bonny burnside [edge of a brook],
and there he saw a wee callant [boy] sitting. And the wee callant says:
"Where's tu gaun, wee Robin?" And wee Robin says: "I'm gaun awa' to the king
to sing him a sang this guid Yule morning." And the wee callant says: "Come
here, wee Robin, and I'll gie ye a wheen grand moolins out o' my pooch [some
very good crumbs out of my pocket]." But wee Robin says: "Na, na! wee
callant; na, na! Ye speldert [spreadeagled] the gowdspink [goldfinch]; but
ye'se no spelder me."

So wee Robin flew awa' till he came to the king, and there he sat on a
winnock sole [window sill], and sang the king a bonny sang. And the king
says to the queen: "What'll we gie [give] to wee Robin for singing us this
bonny sang?" And the queen says to the king: "I think we'll gie him the wee
wran [wren] to be his wife."

So wee Robin and the wee wran were married, and the king, and the queen, and
a' the court danced at the waddin' [wedding]; syne [then] he flew awa' hame
[home] to his ain [own] water-side, and happit [hopped] on a brier.