LL-L "Etymology" 2007.07.07 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 02:05:52 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  05 July 2007 - Volume 05

From: "M.-L. Lessing" <marless at gmx.de>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2007.07.07 (04) [E]

R.F. Hahn wrote:
Similarly, the Irish word for "English (language)" is Béarla (< Old Irish *
bélre*) > Scottish Gaelic Beurla , Manx Baarle, originally meaning something
like 'gibberish' or 'babble' (literally probably "mouthing": *bél+re*).

Can it be that there is a connection from "Baarle" to "parlare"?

I have another question. Here in Middelholstein, a certain type of long,
narrow, steep Geest hill, rising rather abruptly from a country otherwise
flat, is called *Klint*. It is always *der Klint*, without any extra name to
distinguish them, although there are several of them; the Klint in
Heidmühlen is *der Klint*, and the Klint some kilometers away in Bimöhlen is
also *der Klint*. It seems to be no problem :-) Now plattdüütsch Wikipedia
tells me:

"En *Klint* oder ok *Kliff* is en steile Kant, an de de Eerd oder dat
Steenmaterial afbroken oder afrutscht is, vun wegen dat Water den Bodden
wegspöölt hett. Dat kann en
Stroom<http://nds.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stroom_%28Water%29>oder ok de See
wesen, dat nerrn dat Material wegnimmt."
Can it be that a Klint is generally a steep hill? In Scotland there are
certain Mountains also called *Clints*, but, as far as I know, with surnames
to specify them. -- My question: Is it the same word? Are there Klints
anywhere else in the world? Is the a connection to latin *in-clinare *etc.?
Do we have it from the Romans, do the Romans have it from us, or is it
altogether different?

Thank you & Goodnight from Middelholstein!

Marlou