LL-L "Etymology" 2007.07.20 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 15:25:43 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  20 July 2007 - Volume 01

From: Maria Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.07.19 (04) [E]

Hi all,

Thanks, Mark, but you've not been following the whole story.
I did say that the mentioned interjections were possibly euphemisms. [The
"alle" "part possibly comes from 'almagtig', and is used euphemistically"]

I bet you did not know that the 'alle'-prefix possibly derives
from our original Afrikaans speakers, the Cape Muslim.

My dad, who comes from the Bushmanland, still uses "allematjiesfontein!"
after 60 years in the city, and was very surprised when I mentioned to him
that these forms were originally used as euphemisms.

Other euphemisms that he is aware of are: Kot (God), maaifoelie (mother
f***), moervaring (mother f***), blikslater (bliksem), hardekwas (hardegat),
aapstert (a***hole), etc. etc. etc.

Goeie môre!
Elsie Zinsser