LL-L "Etymology" 2007.07.22 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 15:48:43 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  22 July 2007 - Volume 01

From: "M.-L. Lessing" <marless at gmx.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.07.21 (01) [E/V]

The "byword"-thing:  Kevin wrote:

I believe that a person (or nation) can be referred to as a byword. The
places where "byword" is used in the King James Version (KJV) of the Bible
are:...
Here are many examples for a person's name or a nation being a byword for
negative things. *Is *"byword" negative? "Proverb", "astonishment",
"song" and the other words that go along with it are originally non-valuing
words. And so is "Beispiel", "Bispill" in German and Nedderdüütsch. Can
anybody be a byword for something good?

Marlou