LL-L "Style" 2007.07.25 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 01:05:29 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  25 July 2007 - Volume 09

From: Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Style" 2007.07.25 (01) [E]

Hi!

Yes, Afrikaans is for a large part made up of such truncated forms.

Some of the older forms still exist in small rural pockets:

D. over – A. oor (but there is a region called the Overberg around
Swellendam)

oge – n. oë [plural]

lager – n. laer [laers]

klage – kla v. [n. klaers]

blader – n. blaar [blare]

mager – adj. maer

vader / moeder – n. vaar / moer

Regards,

Elsie Zinsser
From: "Lhsgam at wmconnect.com " <Lhsgam at wmconnect.com>

Lowlanders help me out.  As the poets in English have used truncated or
"slurred" words like *ope* for open, *oer* for over, *neer* for never, have
the other LL languages done similarly?

[Sam/Sid Claire]

----------

From: Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Style" 2007.07.25 (07) [A/D/E]

Hi all,

Mark, I don't know why the hê (to have) in Afrikaans is so weird.

The Canadian Mennonite Plaut 'ha' sounded very familiar to my ears, as in

"Ekj wel kofi ha!"

Also your A. 'opening' is pure Anglicism. The more accepted Afrikaans

forms are 'geleentheid' or 'vakture' (job opening) unless of course you
meant

'opening' as in a hole in the wall, then of course 'gat' is a better choice.

Groete,

Elsie Zinsser

From: Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net >

A lass from Rotterdam asked me how we say  'hebben' to 'have' & when I told
her ; 'hê', she had a fit of giggles,

'Oop' means 'open' but 'opening' (Afrikaans) is 'opening' (English).