LL-L "Etymology" 2007.07.25 (08) [D/E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 21:54:47 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  25 July 2007 - Volume 08

From: Theo Homan <theohoman at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.07.25 (06) [E]

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Etymology
>
> Thanks, Theo!
>
> Does this mean that I have a chance of becoming a
> national hero and
> liberator and getting honorary Dutch citizenship and
> the golden
> Maatjesaward, or does it mean there will be the
> Dutch equivalent of a
> fatwa on my head?
>
> Fortunately, we have thinking Dutch people on our
> list, people that are able
> to look at all possibilities beyond emotions.  At
> any rate, they'll get over
> it.
>
> Just look at the phonological data!  I'm not saying
> it is so, just that it's
> a possibility.
>
> Regards,
> Reinhard/Ron

Reinhard,

Niet overdrijven.
Maar Het Grootkruis in de Orde van de Nederlandse
Leeuw Eerste Klasse van Het Huis Oranje is wel het
minste waar ik aan denk.

vr.gr.
Theo Homan

----------

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>

Re: fiets. Dear Ron, I assume you consider yourself  -rightly-  as our
"thinking" leaders. But this time I think you "sink".

When I answered Elaine this morning it was too early to remember the whole
story. Which my grandfather who was born in 1860 told me. He was a very
serious person, so I don't think he was lying.

"The french invented the velocipede and advertised it as "vélocipede à
grande vitesse" and that is where the word fiets came from".

It is very well possible that the word fiets was not adopted before the
inventions got pedals and a chain and ran much faster

than the "walking cycle" of yore"

By the way it was this same grandfather who would bike from Amsterdam to
Nordhorn ( > 130 km ) to visit his fiancée on one of those big wheel
contraptions!. Jacqueline