LL-L "Style" 2007.07.25 (07) [A/D/E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 19:48:07 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  25 July 2007 - Volume 07

From: Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Style" 2007.07.25 (01) [E]

 Dear Sam:

Subject: :LL-L "Style"

Afrikaans has gone a long way in removing or vocalising the medial
consonants in more commonly used words. My favourite example: A lass from
Rotterdam asked me how we say  'hebben' to 'have' & when I told her ; 'hê',
she had a fit of giggles, "Most of the word is gone!" true, but not all the
time. We say, for example, "Suikerbos ek wil jou hê!" -'Honeychild, I want
you!' but "Gesaghebbendes sal intree." - 'Those in authority shall
intervene.' 'Oop' means 'open' but 'opening' (Afrikaans) is 'opening'
(English).

It can get awkward, though. Consider; the Afrikaans words for 'army',
'leather', 'learn', 'ladder' & 'ledger'. All these get 'leer'. Actually the
last gets a deelteken, so - 'leër' & a vowel-step rather than a vocalic
glide. 'Weather', 'counter', 'again', get 'weer'. Fortunately this
homophonising is not so extreeeemly common as in other languages.

Sometimes the old form & the new form exist side by side. 'Return' gets
'wederkoms' & 'weerkoms', usage determined largely by the rhythm of the
speech of the moment.

Then there are the words that are difficult to say in Afrikaans, which
doesn't use the English 'G'. 'Mahogany' (English) comes out 'mahoenie'
(Afrikaans).

Yrs,
Mark