LL-L "Etymology" 2007.06.03 (04) [E/German]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 20:37:42 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  03 June 2007 - Volume 04

From: Karl-Heinz Lorenz <Karl-Heinz.Lorenz at gmx.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.06.01 (01) [E]

> From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
> Subject: LL-L "Songs" 2007.05.31 (05) [E]
>
> Well, you put it that way, it makes me think of the Scots/English
> "piddle", which is a fairly acceptable way of saying "piss" - it's
> neither rude, nor baby talk, nor a euphemism.
>
> Am I right in saying it's English too? English people seem to say
> "widdle", but on the other hand in Dorset in the very south of England
> there's the River Piddle - any relationship? - that runs through or by
> such places as Tolpuddle (of trade union martyr fame), Piddletrenthide
> (immortalised in poetry by Ogden Nash) and Puddletown.

There is the record: Live at the Star Club 1962

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live!_at_the_Star-Club_in_Hamburg,_Germany%3B_1962<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live%21_at_the_Star-Club_in_Hamburg,_Germany%3B_1962>

on this romanian link you can listen to samples:
http://www.gomusic.ru/album.aspx?id=7113)

I bought this record when it was released in about 1979, but I don't have it
at hand now. It starts with an introduction of the beatles by a german
speaking host saying approximately:

"Es ist jetzt fünf Minuten vor zwölf ... Und weiters geht's mit den Stars
aus Liverpool, mit den Biddels!"

So I imagine him talking to himself: Oh what a wicked boy I am, I introduced
them as Pidels.

And the Beatles not aware that this was a also a German word, giggling and
whispering to each other:

"This funny German guy introduced us as Piddles. Should we be annoyed?"

"No, he doesn't know what he's talking about and anyway, he's pissed, isn't
he?"

Regards,
Karl-Heinz