LL-L "Etymology" 2007.06.06 (09) [B/D/E/V]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 14:46:06 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  06 June 2007 - Volume 09

From: john welch <sjswelch at yahoo.com.au>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.06.06 (08) [E]

Reinhard /Ron,
OK. I accept the wildebeest has cow-horns (but my encyclopedia says "horse
body". I still think buffalo are more "bees"). The wildeb. has a horse tail,
like the yak with a tail 6 times as thick as a horse and used as Sanskrit
"camara" royal tassel, Pali Skt. "chamara" made of chamari yak-tail for the
kings of Thailand today. It hangs from the "neck" of their royal barge, like
a tassel hanging from the jaw of a Chinese dragon (some Chinese shops have
these ornamental dragons). Gamsbart "beard" tassel is made from a
freshly-killed chamois, which suggests ancient ritual, and beards are not
seen on chamois. Tassels are on academic hats, and German professors wear
zimara robe, as does the Pope. Chamarre / acciamara / zamarra robes are
chimere robes of UK kings and bishops, who also wear tassels at the St .
George and Dragon royal chapel. "George" may be Norse "gyge" ancient
priest.  The British "yale" (goat on Royal Arms) may be Assyrian "ia-`ilu"
sacred ibex-goat, from the region where Brahmin gods influenced India and
Europe.
John.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Thanks, John.

As I said, I don't want to discount inter-Eurasian connections, including
belief systems and rituals.

I never thought that the gamsbart was a real tail, always assumed that
Bart("beard") here referred to a thick tuft of hair in Bayuvarian
dialects.

Well, to me at least wildebeest look distinctively bovine, especially the
head, aside from the horns.  It never occurred to me that they could not be
bovine, and perhaps I'm not the first in history.

But, no, folksy names can never be trusted -- for instance Afrikaans
kameelperd ("camel horse") for 'giraffe', Afrikaans seekoei ("sea cow") for
'hippopotamus', German Nilpferd ("Nile horse") or Flusspferd ("river horse,"
inspired by Greek ἱπποπόταμος hippopótamos) for 'hippopotamus' , and German
Seekuh ("sea cow") for 'Sirenian' (including manatees and dugongs).  And
remember English "fish" for all sorts of edible sea creatures, including
"shellfish," something that to speakers of other languages seems rather
weird.