LL-L "Phonology" 2007.06.12 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 16:42:57 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  12 June 2007 - Volume 03

From: Diederik Masure <didimasure at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2007.06.11 (04) [E]

I am aware that they probably leveled 'Diederikh' to 'Diederich' under
influence of German, but the name Didrik also exists in Norway (according to
norskenavn.no 950 nordmenn are called Didrik) so Dietrich can't be the only
reason. Although I guess that Dietrich surely played a role too.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Phonology

Yeah, Diederik, many people unfortunately tend to lump "Dutch" and "German"
together for lack of better knowledge, and things get muddled then.  Also,
there's this tendency toward wanting to throw extra foreign sounds into
foreign names for extra "exoticness."  (There's always the example of
English speakers saying "bay-zhing" instead of "bay-jing" for Beijing, or
"boonde-shtahg" for Bundestag, and this happens in writing foreign names
too, as in "Rheinhardt" for my name.)

But I'm really interested in this phenomenon of final aspiration in your
Brabantish dialect, because it seems like a really rare phenomenon.  I'd
love to hear it.  I tried to replicate it and ended up developing  [...k_h]
into africate [...kC] ([kʰ] → [kç]).  Is this how you pronounce it?

This is a logical progression and is very widespread as an areal feature for
instance in Eastern Central Asia, affecting particularly many of Altaic
(Mongolic and Turkic) language varieties and Sino-Tibetan language varieties
(Amdo-Tibetan, and also Mandarin with Tibetan and Altaic substrates) in
Western China, usually as a part of a general aspirate > affricate rule (e.g.
also [qʰ] → [qχ], [tʰ] → [ts], [pʰ] → [pɸ] → [pf]).  But none of this
happens syllable-finally, as far as I know.