LL-L "Travels" 2007.06.13 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 00:52:04 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  13 June 2007 - Volume 03

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Travels

Another thing about the Travels project (lowlands-l.net/travels/) ...

Some of you may have noticed that there is a language section: "Things to
Say" (lowlands-l.net/travels/say.php) with the sections "Phrases",
"Vocabulary" and "Number".  (The latter two are supposed to be used with the
phrases.)  Obviously, this is the bare minimum, at least for now.  We could
always expand on it later.

Please note that I wrote the following:

As a minimum, we would like to post this list in the following language
varieties other than English:

 •  Afrikaans   •  Dutch   •  Frisian, Westerlauwer (West)  •
*German<http://lowlands-l.net/travels/phrases-de.php>
*  •  Limburgish  •  *Low Saxon ("Low German"), Northern,
Germany*<http://lowlands-l.net/travels/phrases-nds.php>
•  Scots

The basic idea is to provide rudimentary speaking tools for survival in the
"old" Lowlands.  German is there because it's necessary and can always be
fallen back on in Northern Germany and elsewhere, such as in Northern Poland
(aside from English among younger people).

This is not to say that we can't add language varieties, and we might want
to entertain the possibility of adding Walloon and French.  Also, if we go
to other parts of the world (namely to places that used to be Lowlands
colonies), we could add relevant languages.

These aids are not meant to make people conversant. Aside from the
"survival" aspect, there's always the fact that at least trying to say a few
basic things (even if only "hello," "thanks" and "good bye") in the local
language is an expression of goodwill and graciousness, and it does open
doors, and perhaps hearts as well.

I you wish to make corresponding lists in your language varieties, by all
means write to me.  It's best to  know about it beforehand to avoid several
people working on the same language independently.  If you wish to recruit
help, by all means send out a List message to that effect.  Group work is
very much encouraged, not only as far as this project is concerned.

Thanks!