LL-L "Etymology" 2007.06.15 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 14:31:22 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  15 June 2007 - Volume 01

From: Marcel Bas <roepstem at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.06.14 (03) [E]

Hi Johnny,

Couldn't 'Till' denote 'Goal', or 'Target'? Maybe it has a military meaning.
Like "De Doelen" (The Targets)  in many cities in the Netherlands, where
soldiers or shooting guilds would practice their shooting.

Ziel ~Til(l)?

'Ziel' is related to Scandinavian 'till', which lead to English 'till' (also
wenn du dein Ziel erreicht hast, gehst du 'till' (bis zu) dem Ziel).

But that still leaves 'Jak' unexplained.

Best regards,

Marcel.

From: jonny  <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L 'Place Names

Hi, everybody in the LL-L-universe,

in the periphery of a neighboured village we have a street named 'Am
Tilljak', and I'm just and only able to help you with the word 'Am...'- it's
meaning  'At the...'

Up to this very moment no-one is able to help me to find out the roots of
this word, so I have to ask the concentrated intelligence of the Lowlandic
scene for help.

One of my guessings is the French time (AD 1810 P.C.) when in special this
village was a point of cumulation for French/Napoleonic administration, a
'Mairie' like Hamburg at the same time.
A 'Jacques' perhaps giving his name, 'till' he died? Just a joke, of
course!!!

Thanks in advance for all contributions about it!

Allerbest!

Jonny Meibohm

----------

From: john welch <sjswelch at yahoo.com.au>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.06.14 (05) [D/E]

The Merovingian Franks made use of "major(dome)" as in Latin, "great ",
Scots "mormaor".  Ger."(burger)meister" is from L. "magister. magis" meaning
"more". French "mairie" as "town-hall", and Norse "Maere"  temple are nouns
from the adjective. This suggests that culturally, the Ger.-Fr.-Norse noun
is different from the Latin adjective custom. Possibly, the "maer" Morovech
who became Carolingian French, were following northern culture, not
Roman-style government. The "mairie. mairalte" was then perhaps a northern
great-hall of religious-royal authority. What would be the Saxon form of a
*"mehr-(hall)",
*maren. *maras?