LL-L "Etymology" 2007.06.17 (03) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 20:04:51 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  17 June 2007 - Volume 03

From: "heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk" <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2007.06.16 (07) [E/LS]

Beste jonny

"kannst dat noch commod  lees'n?? Wenn nich- denn bruukst Du en nieuve
Brill, miin Jongje! "
"Can you read that as 'commod'?? If not, then you need new glasses, my lad!"

"Haar 'ck in Diin Öller jüst sou maakt- hebb 'ck ouk vandage noch plezeer
an."
But here I get lost!!! Please a quick translation! Many thanks

Allerbest!

Heather

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Idiomatica

Jonny's use of kommood' is now clearer to me: in this case "easily" or "with
ease", i.e. "well", "without problems".

I guess I would use goud (good) 'good', 'well', or lichtfardig 'easily'
here.

Further on the semantic spread of loans of French commode:

German has Kommode 'chest of drawers', 'bureau'
Somewhat old-fashioned American English "commode" is used as a taboo
replacement for "toilet".

I suppose the common sememe is *"convenient(ly)".

"Haar 'ck in Diin Öller jüst sou maakt- hebb 'ck ouk vandage noch plezeer
an."

"I did it just like that when I was your age, and I still enjoy it these
days."