LL-L "Etymology" 2007.06.18 (06) [D/E/LS/German]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 18:19:43 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  18 June 2007 - Volume 01

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2007.06.16 (08) [D/LS]

Jii skreyv:

Nu heb ik een vraagje.
Over 'commod'.
Betekent 'commod  lees'n':  'gewoon lezen'?
Joo- ouhn' eyn Mikroskopje, in disse Geval ;-)... (Diederik schrivvt jümmer
sou klein, dat ick 't ne leez'n kann...)

Tou Ron siin annern Verkloorn: door kann 'ck nix an beter mooken of meyhr
tou seggen!

Allerbest!

Jonny Meibohm

----------

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2007.06.17 (05) [E]

 Beste Sandy,

Du schreyvst about a certain meaning of 'commode':

> a "commode" is a cabinet with a toilet in it (that is, just a
> bowl that can be removed and cleaned out), which was brought to an
> invalid and opened up so they could sit in it and do their business
> without having to use the stairs or else leave their room.
This kind of equipment is called *'Kackstuhl'*  (literally 'shit-chair') in
uncouth German, and we have the word *'Stuhlgang'*  (literally 'chair-walk')
to circumscribe the 'business' people doing here. But it isn't a cabinett-
just an open chair...

*DUDEN* says:

Die Zusammensetzung *Stuhlgang *(15. Jh.) bedeutet eigentlich »Gang zum
[Nacht]stuhl«; das erste Glied bezieht sich auf ein Gerät für Kranke oder
auf den Abortsitz. Aus der zugehörigen Wendung »zu Stuhl gehen« (14. Jh.;
Exkremente«, die vor allem im medizinischen Sprachgebrauch gilt.

Duden - Das Herkunftswörterbuch, 3. Aufl. Mannheim 2001 [CD-ROM]
Allerbest!

Jonny Meibohm

----------

From: Larry Granberg <lgranberg at usa.com>

Hey all, Ron you are a bit right and a bit wrong.....
and Sandy I don't know about "wheeling in the commode for the invalid" but
my mamm was a nurse for a great many years and to her a commode was a
wheelchair type ding-do where the seat lifted and the bed pan was
underneath, but that was very very old usage from just before the 2nd WW.

as far as a taboo for toilet, I think that it has more to do with habit as
was suggested. Just look at the prevalence -at least in in ( Pittsburgh
area) Pennsylvania and Upper New York for the use of "icebox" for the
refrigerator or fridge (and that slang came from an American company that
made Frigidaire refrigerators...). A commode was the cabinet in a
bedroom where one kept the chamber pot, wash basin, and other items for
freshening up or shaving. Originals/antiques from the 18Th and 19Th C's
command hundreds if not thousands of dollars. It was not just for invalid
use alone. In some old farmhouses in middle and western Pennsylvania you can
even find small rooms on the upper floors which to a lot of our parent's and
current generation made no sense - too small to sleep in and too big just
for a closet, and no plumbing- these were "commode rooms". I think there
are/or were a few examples found in Harmony, Zelienople, Intercourse (how's
that for a village name!), and Bradford-all found in Pennsylvania. As it
being used now for the toilet/bathroom, I don't think that I have heard any
one out side of my great great aunt or  grandparent's generation-now long
gone, ever use it that way.

Just a drop in the bucket from yrs truly,
Larry

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Thanks for the clarification, Larry.

Jonny, the polite English word for "feces" is "stool," by the way.

From: "list at marcusbuck.org" <list at marcusbuck.org>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.06.17 (06) [German]

From: Heiko Evermann <heiko.evermann at gmx.de>
> Subject: LL-L "Seit Anno Krug"
>
> Kennt Ihr die Redensart "Anno Krug" mit der Bedeutung "seit sehr langer
> Zeit",
> Beispiele sind
> * "Der Khan des Ortes soll anno Krug befohlen haben, alle Datteln guter
> Qualität sofort nach Ernte als Privatbesitz des Despoten an den Hof zu
> liefern. "
> * "das war Anno Krug mal ein Weihnachtsvierteiler im ZDF"
> * "diese Vase ist von Anno Krug"
>
> Ich habe nur sehr wenige Fundstellen davon bei Google gefunden. Ich kenne
> diese Redensart auch nur aus Norddeutschland.
>
> Wisst Ihr etwas über den Ursprung dieser Redensart und wo sie verbreitet
> ist?
>
> Herzliche Grüße,
>
> Heiko Evermann

As ik dien Fraag leest heff, heff ik an de Seggwies "Anno eent, as de
grote Wind weer" oder "Anno Wind" dacht, de so in Oostpreußen bruukt
worrn is. Dat weer so'n Snack, dat weer vun'n groten Orkan vun'n 3.
November 1801 in Königsbarg her. Denn heff ik Google ansmeten un dor
wat to söökt. Un heff
<http://www.operone.de/stw/an.php?search=&operator=&page=68> funnen.
Ok nett: "Anno Een, as de Döwel junk weer." ut Oostfreesland. Un denn
steiht op disse Siet ok "Anno Kruck" mit bi. Un wenn du dat nu wedder
in Google söchst, denn kriggst du
<http://www.jessner.homepage.t-online.de/wort06.htm>. Dat is en
Wöörlist ut Preußen. Kruck steiht för "ole Fro" oder ok för
"Wärmflasche". Ole Fro also villicht för "ganz oolt, ganz lang her" un
vun dor denn "Anno Kruck", wat denn wedder to "Anno Krug" worrn is?
Weten do ik't nich, aver angahn kann dat doch.

Marcus Buck

----------

From: "list at marcusbuck.org" <list at marcusbuck.org>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.06.14 (03) [E]

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
> Subject: LL-L 'Place Names
>
> Hi, everybody in the LL-L-universe,
>
> in the periphery of a neighboured village we have a street named 'Am
> Tilljak', and I'm just and only able to help you with the word 'Am...'-
it's
> meaning  'At the...'
>
> Up to this very moment no-one is able to help me to find out the roots of
> this word, so I have to ask the concentrated intelligence of the Lowlandic
> scene for help.
>
> One of my guessings is the French time (AD 1810 P.C.) when in special this
> village was a point of cumulation for French/Napoleonic administration, a
> 'Mairie' like Hamburg at the same time.
> A 'Jacques' perhaps giving his name, 'till' he died? Just a joke, of
> course!!!
>
> Thanks in advance for all contributions about it!
>
> Allerbest!
>
> Jonny Meibohm

Is keen grote Hülp, ober ik glööv, dat hett ans noch nüms seggt:
'tillen' is ok en Wuurt för "zappeln", so as in "tillföten" för "mit
de Fööt zappeln". Tohoop mit dien 'Jacques' warrt dor denn woll en
plattdüütsch-franzöösch Synonym för den "Zappelphilipp" vun ;-)

Marcus Buck