LL-L "Resources" 2007.06.18 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 04:24:24 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  18 June 2007 - Volume 02

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Resources

Dear Lowlanders,

A few days ago I received the latest issue of Lallans : the journal o Scots
airts an letters (Nummer 70, Ware 2007). This issue happens to have a bit of
a focus on "Scots in Modren Drama" but, as usual, with plenty of other types
of contributions, including poetry of various genres.

Lallans is published by the Scots Leid Associe (Scots Language Society) and
membership (at reasonable rates) comes with a subscription to the journal.
Each issue is entirely in Scots, though there is the occasional direct quote
in English or another language. Its visual design is appealing in an
understated sort of way, featuring some visual art in every issue.

This time, like every time, I browsed through Lallans and stopped here and
there to take closer looks before homing in at a later date, I thought to
myself that its value can not be emphasized enough and that subscribing to
it is a definite must for anyone even halfway seriously interested in the
Scots language. (No, I have not been asked to "sell" it.)  In my opinion,
this applies not only to the people of Scotland and to Scots abroad, but
really to anyone. Now that Scots language reference resources are more
readily available than ever, reading Scots works of such caliber has become
possible for anyone with at least a fair level of English reading
proficiency. It certainly helps to rapidly improve one's Scots reading
comprehension and to gain access to facets of Scottish life, culture,
thought and creativity that seem distinctly different from those accessed
through English (and most likely through Gaelic as well).

Aside from the obvious interest in the actual language, there is value in
examining the manner in which the periodical is presented. I firmly believe
that it shows what can be done when a team of forward-looking people with
high but not out-of-reach standards gets it together to combine language
activism with publishing literary works that both help to raise standards
and improve the image of the language, apart from community building and
maintenance. I see similar levels in a small number of other non-national
languages, such as Catalan and Sorbian. One can only wish that such levels
were being striven toward and accepted in all non-national language
communities.

Further information:
mail at lallans.co.uk
www.lallans.co.uk