LL-L "Etymology" 2007.06.22 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 18:35:36 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  22 June 2007 - Volume 01

From: Ronald Veenker <veenker at atmc.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.06.22 (02) [E/LS/German]

Beste Ron and Jonny,

I hope I haven't missed a previous discussion of this thread.  I wanted
to ask about family names with the ending -inga.  I have encountered so
very many of these names in my years of residence in Iowa, US.
Huizinga, Veninga, Popinga, etc.

Are these PREFIX-"people of"?

Regards,

Ron Veenker

On Friday, June 22, 2007, at 12:46  PM, Lowlands-L List wrote:

> L O W L A N D S - L-21 June 2007 - Volume 02

> ==
>
> From:"list at marcusbuck.org "<list at marcusbuck.org>
> Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.06.21 (01) [E/German]
>
> Like Marcel Bas said:
> > In place names we are often dealing with -ing: 'people'. Cf.
> > Groningen, Wagening(en), Texing, etc. Cf. tweeling - with added '
> > l': 'twins'; koning (= king), etc. But you examples of 'ding' could
> > very well refer to a thing as a gathering or a people's court.
>
> Stedingen cames from stathu like in 'Gestade', the same word is the
> root of 'Stade/Stood'. So Stedingen is 'the land of the people on the
> coast'. Butjadingen is the 'land of the people on the outer side of
> the Jade'. I don't know Kadingen (or is it Kehdingen?), but I guess,
> it is the same.
>
> I think, Dingwörden is a better example of a place name with the word
> 'ding'. It is the Wurt (English has no own word for it? Wikipedia
> calls it 'Artificial dwelling hill'), where the thing place were,
> where the regular thing meetings were held. In this meaning 'ding'
> does occur in place names, but I don't think, there are place names
> with 'ding' meaning 'judicial district'.
>
> Marcus Buck
>
> ----------
>
> From:jonny<jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
> Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.06.21 (02) [E]
>
> Beste Luc and Marcel,
>
> Dank foyr Jouw'n Anters tou 'thing'! "Nicht verzagen, Nachbarn fragen
> ;-)!"
>
> Luc:
>
> > Don't wanna burst your bubble...but...you could be on
> > "ing(en)"-territory now.
>
> You don't burst a bubble, I think. Though you cut the relationship to
> 'thing' we still stay in the same basic meaning! Isn't a territory, in
> the farest sense,a kind ofadministration unit (as I suggested) as
> well?It even fits better into my construction- perhaps you're just on
> any older path, deeper in the ancient background of the > 'thing'-family.
>
> Have a look at Marcel's:
>
> > In place names we are often dealing with-ing: 'people'.
>
> Isn't it close to DUDEN: '...die Versammlung der freien Männer...'?
>
> Allerbest!
>
> Jonny Meibohm
>
> ----------
>
> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Etymology
>
> Marcus, you wrote:
>
> > It is the Wurt (English has no own word for it? Wikipedia calls it
> 'Artificial dwelling hill')
>
> So far I haven't been able to find a connection, though I would expect
> there to be one.
>
> Even though apparently not related (or is it?), it reminds me
> ofworth'fenced land', 'enclosure', 'settlement', 'homestead' < Old
> Englishworþ, Old Saxonworð> Middle Saxon wurd, word.
>
> What is very interesting about this one is that it appears to be
> limited to Saxon and to be a direct link not only between British and
> [...]
Ronald Veenker
"Now and Zen"
623 Ocean Boulevard West
Holden Beach, NC 28462-1805