LL-L "Etymology" 2007.06.23 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 00:48:51 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  22 June 2007 - Volume 07

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.06.23 (05) [E]

Beste Reinhard,

you wrote:

> Does anyone know the story behind the Low Saxon use of geel (gääl)
"yellow" as "("High") German" (or as "Germanized Low Saxon")?
Some time ago I myself already made some investigations about this (didn't I
post it here??).
There are two types of LS 'geel', as I found out and put it into my own
collection:

geel¹                         gelb

geel²                        gestelzt, übertrieben, prahlerisch (v. Alts. ‚*
gelp*': Prahlerei etc.)

The Ollanners'  '*groyn'*  possibly could be related to G *'Grünschnabel'.*

Allerbest!

Jonny Meibohm