LL-L "Etymology" 2007.06.24 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 02:05:45 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  24 June 2007 - Volume 03

From: Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.06.23 (07) [E]

Hi all,

It has puzzled me too why, in Mennonite Plautdietsch, the devil would be
called "jäl Tän".
I suspect there is a deeper meaning for the colour "yellow".

Perhaps the connotative meaning of yellow is that of 'falsehood' as one
finds in the given
meanings 'übertrieben' and 'prahlerisch'?

What I'd like to know is the cultural history behind these connotations and
how old it is.
Does 'yellow' not also mean 'cowardice'? Why is a coward not just plain
blue?

Regards,

Elsie Zinsser

> Does anyone know the story behind the Low Saxon use of *geel* (*gääl*)
"yellow" as "("High") German" (or as "Germanized Low Saxon")?
----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sasisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Hi, Elsie!

I'm with you there.  I had hoped to find some traditional culture
connection.

In my native culture, yellow is not a symbol of cowardice but of jealousy
and envy (which is green in English).  So I half suspect that there's a
connection there, namely trying to talk like the "posh" High Germans may
have been seen as a sign of envy of their supposedly higher social status.
Kind of makes sense, doesn't it?  Remember that in Olland it's green.