LL-L "Etymology" 2007.06.25 (01) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 14:37:44 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  25 June 2007 - Volume 01

From: Maria Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.06.24 (03) [E]

Hi all,

Ron, in Afrikaans, the color green also denotes jealousy; 'Hy was groen van
jaloesie toe ek..." but I think it comes from the English language (or Low
Saxon?) rather than being a cultural remnant from Dutch, German or French.

Yellow has no negative connotation in Afrikaans, unless Mark, Petrus or
Marcel can tell us otherwise.

My gut tells me that the people who started using these secretive color
codes to communicate about characteristics such as snobbery and deluded
superiority, did so because gossiping about the newly rich and
newly learned was either frowned upon or even punished.

Elsie Zinsser