LL-L "Etymology" 2007.06.25 (03) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 17:49:03 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  25 June 2007 - Volume 03

From: Marcel Bas <roepstem at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.06.25 (01) [E/LS]

Hi Elsie,

You remarked:

Ron, in Afrikaans, the color green also denotes jealousy; 'Hy was groen van
jaloesie toe ek..." but I think it comes from the English language (or Low
Saxon?) rather than being a cultural remnant from Dutch, German or French.

Yellow has no negative connotation in Afrikaans, unless Mark, Petrus or
Marcel can tell us otherwise.

As a matter of fact, there is a negative connotation in Dutch. "Ik erger me
groen en geel aan dit nieuwe beleid" = "This new policy is irritates the
hell out of me." So it denotes 'to get irritated till you are green and
yellow in the face'.

In Russian both green and yellow seem to derive from the same root:
зелёный<http://www.multitran.ru/c/m.exe?t=15251_2_1> (zelyonyj
'green') and жёлтый <http://www.multitran.ru/c/m.exe?t=191200_2_1> (zhyoltyj
'yellow'), though I am not sure.

Groetjes,