LL-L "Etymology" 2007.06.25 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 18:44:48 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  24 June 2007 - Volume 04

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology"

Dear Elsie (and Reuben),

You wrote:

> From: Reuben Epp  <reuben at uniserve.com <mailto:reuben at uniserve.com>>
> Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.06.24 (03) [E]
>
> From: Elsie Zinsser < ezinsser at icon.co.za <mailto:ezinsser at icon.co.za>>
> Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.06.23 (07) [E]
>
> Hi all,
> It has puzzled me too why, in Mennonite Plautdietsch, the devil would be
> called "jäl Tän".

This is really interesting, as it opens new perspectives.

See, Middle Saxon had "gêl-oge", (geel-oog in Dutch) for the devil. I
can't tell you why old nick is considered to have yellow eyes (?
cat-like ?), but in color symbolism, "yellow" predominantly has negative
connotations (treachery, jealousy), so that could play a role.

Especially after Jonny's latest remark, I have come to think that "geel
snacken", rather stands for "talking loud", maybe slightly comparable to
how "some" American speech is valued by non-Americans. On a more local
scale, this is often said of the Antwerp dialect too, being pretty
brash, in the ears of southerners that is ;-)  . So, here "geel" may
stand for "brash", "posh", "distinctive". Yellow is after all a color
that stands out brazenly against a dark ( and rural) background (cf. all
the different lions in heraldry).

Back to "geel-oog".
Many a Southern Dutch dialect has the verb "geel-ogen". The meaning can
vary somewhat, ranging from looking like a hollow-eyed zombie to making
grimaces with glaring eyes (cf. "The Wren").  Western dialects usually
have something like "glaar-ogen" (note ~ "to glare" (E)), Eastern ones
are more along the lines of "gèèl-ogen" (maybe ~ "geer-ogen": eyes that
show (be)geer(te), "Gier", "Begierde" (G), ~ "to yearn"), "l" and "r"
are  quite often interchangeable. I have a hunch that two different
verbs have come into play here and have mutually influenced each other
("glèèr-ogen": wild look + "geer-ogen": dull look = "geel-ogen").

So maybe "geel snacken" is the final result of two (or more) different
words that have intermingled?

By the way, "jealousy" is usually associated with "green" in Brabantish:
"a zie(t) grüün va zjaloezie", "he's deadly jealous". But then again,
"yellow" has cognates in other languages that mean "green"; which is
only natural, given the fact that "gall" is related, whose color is
halfway between green and yellow.

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Interesting, Luc, also that you mention "jealousy" and zjaloezie.

"Jealous" is related to "zeal" < Latin sēlus < Greek ζη̑λος zēlos.
Portuguese and Italian write the word for "jealous" geloso. I wonder if some
sort of "mix-up" with words for "yellow" occurred at some point in time.