LL-L "Names" 2007.06.26 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 03:08:42 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  26 June 2007 - Volume 07

From: Kevin Caldwell <kevin.caldwell1963 at verizon.net>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2007.06.26 (06) [E]

That reminds me of the famous Russian field marshal in the Napoleonic Wars,
Михаил Богданович Барклай-де-Толли (Mikhail Bodganovich Barklay-de-Tolli,
born Michael Andreas Barclay de Tolly), a German-speaking descendent of
Scottish immigrants to Livonia. His grandfather was mayor of Riga.  Russian
soldiers who served under him supposedly called him "Boltay da i tol'ko",
which translates roughly as "all bark and no bite", while another famous
(and evidently more popular with the men) general, Пётр Иванович Багратион
(Pyotr Ivanovich Bagration, who was of Georgian descent), was known as "Bog
rati on" (God of the army is he).

And don't forget that Pushkin was half Ethiopian.

There are long lists of famous Russians with "mixed" names, such as *Владимир
Иванович Даль* (Vladimir Dahl < Danish), *Сергей Юльевич Витте* (Sergei
Yulyevitch Witte < Dutch/North German), *Андрей Иванович Штакеншнейдер *(Andrei
Ivanovich Stackenschneider < German), *Антон Мануилович Девиер* (Anton
Manuilovich Devier < António Manuel de Vieira < Portuguese), *Святослав
Николаевич Рерих* (Svetoslav Nikolayevich Roerich < German), *Елизавета
Павловна Гердт* (Elizaveta Pavlovna Gerdt < German), *Фаддей Фаддеевич
Беллинсгаузен* (Faddey Faddeyevich Bellinsgauzen* *< Fabian Gottlieb
Thaddeus von Bellingshausen < German), *Фердинанд Петрович
Врангель*(Ferdinand Petrovich Vrangel < Ferdinand von Wrangel <
German), and these
are only some of the historic ones.

And France's new prime minister: Nicolas Sarkozy (legally Nicolas Paul
Stéphane Sarközy de Nagy-Bocsa).

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Names

Thanks, Kevin.

And we should forget about our very own nearest and dearest Russian of
Korean extraction: Vladislav ("The Impaler") Lee (Li).