LL-L "Language politics" 2007.06.28 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 14:42:29 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  28 June 2007 - Volume 01

From: Sönke Dibbern <s_dibbern at web.de>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2007.06.27 (03) [E]

> From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
> Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2007.06.27 (02) [E]
>
> When I visited Schleswig about 15 years ago, there was an organisation
called something like Die Grensvereinigung/Graensevereningen that seemed to
concern itself with multilingual nature of the region.  Anybody know if they
are still active?

You are probably refering to the Grænseforeningen ('border association').
It's a kind of association of and for the Danish minority in
Slesvig-Holsten, and it's basically an (open-minded) lobby organisation for
the Danes. And yes, they're still very much alive. See
http://www.graenseforeningen.dk/

Regards,
Sönke

----------

From: Heiko Evermann <privat at evermann.de>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2007.06.27 (04) [E]

Hi Ron,
> You wrote among other things:
>
> Well, the government of Schleswig-Holstein does take care of the interests
> of
> the Germans on the other side of the border, just as the Danish government
> does for the Danes on our side. I think that is perfectly normal. Who else
> should assist these minorities if not the majorities from the other side
of
> the border.
>
> I'm not totally sure I understand what you mean by "taking care."   If you
> are talking about protecting them within the framework of national and
> state/province welfare, it is in my opinion the country of citizenship
that
> is first and foremost responsible.
You are right with that, of course. I just observed over the years that
there
are official contacts between the Schleswig-Holstein government and the
German minority in Nordschleswig and every now and then this government has
made comments on politics in Denmark, cautiously, of course, but
nevertheless. In addition there is a certain amount of official cooperation,
e.g. from what I know, authorities on both sides make sure that when you
finish school the exams are valid on the other side, too. That means that
you
can study in Germany with an Abitur that you made in Nordschleswig in a
German school.

Kind regards,
Heiko Evermann

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language politics

Thanks, Heiko.  I know about the agreements, and I think they're fine.  I
just would hate to see people go down the road of assuming that the
minorities must be taken care of by the countries across the border.
Playing watchdog is another matter, but it should be an international
matter.

Folks, Dawyth Hicks, the Chief Editor of Eurolang, asks if he may reproduce
part of our exchange, I believe in the form below (because that's how he
appended it).  I told him I need to check with those involved.  So, Mike and
Helge, would that be all right with you?  Please let me know a.s.a.p.  It is
all right with me as long as the quote and the omissions are marked (as
shown below).

***

> [...]
> Whatever will happen now in Soednerjylland, it appears that the
> SH-government is committed to introduce bilingual signs no matter what
> and this is certainly welcomed by all linguistic groups in SH.
>
> Groeten vun
>
> Helge
>
> ----------
>
> From: Helge Tietz <helgetietz at yahoo.com>
> Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2007.06.26 (09) [E]
>
> Dear Lowlanders!
>
> I have to make another comment to Euroland's article: Their reflection
> of the Jyllands Posten article is actually wrong. Jyllands Posten
> itself has not uttered any opinion about the matter itself (as
> Eurolang claims) but simply reflected opinions of a variety of persons
> they have interviewed and both pro- and contras are very well
> documented while JP refrains of taking sides. Their final comment is
> by H. Juergensens (from the German minority) and calls for a
> constructive and tolerant discussion on the matter. I am somewhat more
> sceptical about the article by "Die Welt", it is a lot more populistic
> and creates the impression that the Danes still hate the Germans, the
> article focusses on the apparent rejection of all Danes to the idea,
> which is not true, according to Jyllands Postens's article. H.
> Juergensen final comment is not present at all! That's a shame. It
> shows how little a newspaper like "Die Welt" understands of Slesvig
> and Holsten. Their article sounds like "The world still hates and
> oppresses the poor Germans" and they have obviously not noticed that
> times have changed and things in Slesvig-Holsten and Soenderjylland
> are moving on, no matter what.
>
> Helge
>
> ----------
>
> From: R. F. Hahn < sassisch at yahoo.com
> Subject: Language politics
>
> Thanks, Mike and Helge!
>
> By the way, Helge, you provided the long-sought answer to why Low
> Saxon ("Low German") seems to be gone from Danish soil.
>
> As for what appears to be Peter Josika's quotes and Die Welt's bias, I
> am copying the editor of Eurolang on this, and am adding, to make it
> abundantly clear a repetition here, and I hope that this matter can be
> followed up on the basis of more reliable sources in Eurolang.
>
> QUOTE: [[I am somewhat more sceptical about the article by "Die Welt", it
is a
> lot more populistic and creates the impression that the Danes still
> hate the Germans, the article focusses on the apparent rejection of
> all Danes to the idea, which is not true, according to Jyllands
> Postens's article. H. Juergensen final comment is not present at all!
> That's a shame. It shows how little a newspaper like "Die Welt"
> understands of Slesvig and Holsten. Their article sounds like "The
> world still hates and oppresses the poor Germans" and they have
> obviously not noticed that times have changed and things in
> Slesvig-Holsten and Soenderjylland are moving on, no matter what.]]

[....]