LL-L "Idomatica" 2007.03.05 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 18:17:33 UTC 2007

From: Theo Homan <theohoman at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2007.03.04 (01) [E]

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Idiomatica
>
> Theo:
>
> > In Icelandic in all contexts?
> > Who told you so?
> A number of sources I consulted.  But I'm more than
> willing to stand
> corrected and learn otherwise.

Hello,

There are instances that bjalla and klukka might be
used for the same dingdong, esp. in former centuries.
[The sounding of the 'bjalla' of the church might
indicate the time, as a 'klukka' does.]

But the thing around a swiss cow-neck is a 'bjalla',
and talking about a 'klukka' around a swiss cow-neck
is saying that swiss cows are wearing -swiss-  watches
around their necks.

And saying that you hear the 'klukka' when the
doorbell is ringing, gives misunderstandings.

And for 'ring the bell' they would never use 'klukka'.

But when the village-people are talking about the new
church-tower with a new dingdong, some will use
'bjalla' and others might use 'klukka', esp. when it
is a very big one; and then preferably they would say
'kirkjuklukka'.
In "icelandic" latin manuscripts from former centuries
they would use campana for the one, and horologium for
the other meaning.

I guess that lowersaxon influence [dutch, platt] made
that 'klukka' was going to be used for 'bjalla'; hence
they could use the word 'stundaklokka' to indicate
they were not meaning a 'bjalla'.

vr.gr.
Theo Homan