LL-L "Etymology" 2007.03.08 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 19:24:24 UTC 2007

From: Marcel Bas <roepstem at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.03.07 (02) [A/E]

Hi Vlad!

Long time no see!

I promised to look up the Russian word _skot_  in etomological dictionaries.
I have two etymological dictionaries for Russian:

"Russian Etymological Dictionary" by Terence Wade (1996) and
"Istoriko-etimologicheskij slovar'" by Pavel Chernykh (1999).

Wade says that Russian _skot_ corresponds to Germanic *skatta- (originally
'cattle'). And, Elsie, he also mentions English _scot-free_ 'unpunished',
from _scot_ 'payment, contribution'. He further adds that Germanic may have
borrowed from Slavonic given that 'treasure' is more abstract than 'cattle'
(the semantic progression being 'cattle', then 'property', then 'money') and
thus probably a later development. He says that on the other hand, there
exist ancient words with monetary connotations (e.g. Old Icelandic _skattr_
'tax', Gothic _skatts 'coin, money', Old High German _skaz_  'coin,
property'). The Slavonic and Germanic words may therefore derive from a
third source.

Chernykh shows that the same word exists in Czechian, Polish, Upper Sorbian,
Old Russian and that it must have existed in ancient SLavonic (he does not
mention Southern Slavonic languages, though). He gives a corresponding Old
Germanic *skatta-  and some Gothic and High German, but no derivations.

The rounding in skot < skat is interesting. I wonder if Russian
_skat_ 'ray(fish)' is also a loanword.

Best regards,

Marcel.