LL-L "Names" 2007.03.22 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 18:40:54 UTC 2007

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Names

Felix,

Could the -ey part in Hülsey have come from a word for "island"?

Old English: éaland, íegland
Old Frisian: āland, eiland
Old Norse: ey-, -ey
Modern English: island
Modern Dutch: eiland
Modern German: Eiland

I'm aware that islands in rivers and lakes tend to be called Werth, -worth,
etc. (e.g. Old Frisian werth, Old Saxon werith, Old German werid, similar to
Nordic holm, hulms?), but you never know what the story behind it is.

Note Island names such as Norderney, Jersey, Guernsey, Alderney, Orkney,
Lindsey and Shelvey.

This is widely believed to be derived from words for "water" (hence
"water-land"), related to Old Frisian ā, Old Saxon aha, Old German aha, Old
English éa < Germanic *aha < Indo-European *akŭā (cf. Latin aqua).

Anyway, it's just a thought.