LL-L "History" 2007.03.27 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 04:55:44 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

From: Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2007.03.26 (01) [E]

Dear Larry, Bryan, Ron:

Subject: L-Lowlands History

Starting from Plattdeutsch: I love it when Ron is nudged to discuss the
history of his languages & the peoples that affect them, or claim to have -
ahem - done so.

A nice barbed comment, please, someone?

Yrs,
Mark

----------

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2007.03.27 (02) [E]

From: john welch < sjswelch at yahoo.com.au>
Subject: History [E]

.... This is not known in Germany (?) but the Saxon king of Sutton Hoo 7th
cent Britain, has a tomb-mound with executed men buried in a ring around
him. He has a dragon on helmet and shield, which is consistent with the
Scythian "skua" dragon. John Welch.

***
Where is the evidence from Sutton Hoo for these "executed men buried around
him"? There is certainly no mention of that at the Sutton Hoo Centre. There
is only tenuous evidence for the so-called "king" himself - we assume he
must have been a king to have such rich grave goods, but no actual body or
skeleton has ever been found. Dragon motifs are widespread, their presence
is no evidence for Scythian connections.  Scythian was an Indo-European
language, but from the Iranian branch.  I'll need to see a lot more evidence
than a warrior culture and a dragon before I'm convinced of anything but the
remotest link between Scythians and Saxons or any Germanic people.

Paul

----------

From: john welch <sjswelch at yahoo.com.au>

I don't try to show that Scythians brought Sanskrit, as Saka is a variant,
apart from cognates from IE of Skt. and Gmc. ON gimre (wrong spelling) means
"year-old animal", like Ger. hamel "wether sheep", Gr. chimaira "goat" and
Skt. hima "animal of 1 winter, year-old". Goats of the sun-god's chariot and
as messengers of the gods, were sacred in Assyria / Babylon as yalu
"ibex-goat", as in Tocharian, and Ethiopic where yalu  is an ibex royal
symbol. The Hindi yali was a goat-lion with swivelling horns where the rear
replaced the front when damaged in battle, as yale of Welsh and unicorn of
Scots Arms.
It is yale on UK Royal Arms, and "Yale" Coll. US. The Chimera goat-lion  as
daughter of Brettanos dragon of the Danube/Danu river, battled Greeks. The
only temple of Scythians was for Ares war-goat. In Sweden a goat's bones
were wrapped in its skin each night until dawn, linking the Baltic goat with
the sun.
Brahmins and goats were created before other people._Taittiriya Samhita vii.
It's interesting that Trondheim is at Geitastrand "goat" on Nidaros river
"waning moon".
The geographic origin of IE skids across the map as warriors battle for
possession of it.
John Welch