LL-L "Etymology" 2007.03.27 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 16:16:06 UTC 2007

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology"

Dear Heather,

You wrote:

*quebbe,* im Niedersächsischen, ein morastiger, oben mit einer festeren
Grasrinde bedeckter Grund, welcher zittert, wenn man darauf tritt.

We once considered buying an old farmhouse in Hereford UK called Little
Quebb - and I was told by the owner that it was a local dialect word for
Marsh

!!!!!!  I didn't think the Saxons had penetrated that far in numbers liable
to leave language behind - it was on the Welsh side of Hereforshire!!

heather

Well, there's another possibility.

Quite a number of Flemings migrated to Southern Wales during the Middle
Ages, they may have introduced this word. There has been some posting on
this subject, let me just cite what Críostóir Ó Ciardha wrote:

>However, there *is* a tenuous connection to Flemish. Wexford was settled in
>1169 by Anglo-Normans from south Wales -
*>one area of which (if memory serves*
*>me, the Gower) had been heavily settled by Flemings.*
>There can be little
>doubt that Flemish-speakers were a part of the retinues that migrated to
>Wexford at the time - including, of course, Rosslare - and I am sure there
>are many Norman French surnames of Flemish origin or flavour in the area.

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0302D&L=lowlands-l&P=R2260&D=1&H=0&O=T&T=1

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx