LL-L "Etymology" 2007.03.28 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 19:34:47 UTC 2007

From: Jonny Meibohm <altkehdinger at freenet.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.03.28 (03) [E/LS]

Ron,

thanks for your answer regarding 'wyk' etc.:

You suggested a connection with German Weiche in the sense of 'crossroads',
if I understood you correctly.

No- not crossroad! This I guess to be of later date. We really use it in the
meaning of 'bay', G: 'Bucht' in narrow channels where a small vessel has to
wait and let pass through a bigger one.
I think the crossroad-meaning which we know from railways came later. In its
original sense I assume it denoted the same: two trains couldn't meet on one
railway, so one of them had to go aside, on a special rail, to let the other
one pass (G: 'aus-**weichen**'). This later became the word for that
mechanic plant that in English is 'point', American 'switch'.

And in Germany we get place names with -wig, as in Sleswig / Schleswig (the
*wig 'bay?' 'town?' of the Sley/Schlei river).

Well- the *Schlei* isn't a river! It's indeed a long, narrow bay. Many
people don't know this, and I hadn't until I had a girlfriend living over
there. So its meaning really could be 'the Sley(-'s) bight'. The Vikings
established in the next their famous 'Haithabu', what also could be
connected with '-bay': 'Heathen Bay', today's name 'Heddeby'.

The mentioned *Brunswick* also is situated at a river- the Oker. So here we
could find the connection, but fact is: many (most) old trading centres
(and a lot of ordinary settlements, too) had been established along rivers.

 Allerbest

Jonny Meibohm

----------

From: Jonny Meibohm <altkehdinger at freenet.de>

Too fast!

I'd like to add something to my last posting regarding *Schleswig/Haithabu*!

From the German WIKIPEDIA:

*Die **Sachsen* <http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sachsen_%28Volk%29>* und **
Franken* <http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franken_%28Volk%29>* nannten die
Siedlung Sliaswig und Sliaswich (Bucht an der Schlei), wovon das heutige
Schleswig abgeleitet ist.*

Jonny Meibohm

----------

From: Marcel Bas <roepstem at hotmail.com>

Hello, Reinhard.

You gave this fine collection of Indo European cognates:

Old Saxon: wīk (homestead, populated area, village)
Old Frisian: wīk (homestead, populated area, village)
Old English: wīc (homestead, populated area, village)
Old German: wīh (homestead, populated area, village)
Germanic: *wīk (homestead, populated area, village)
Indo-Eur.: * ŭeiǩ- (housing, house, settlement)
Cf. Latin: vicus (homestead, village)

Old Saxon: wīka (change, bend, week), wīkan (to retreat)
Old English: wīc (bight, bay), wīcan (to retreat)
Old Frisian: wīk (side canal), wīke (week), wīk a (to retreat)
Old German: wīh (change, bend), wīhhan (to retreat)
Germanic: *wīkō (bend, curve)
Indo-Eur.: *ŭeik- (bend, curve)

And then you remarked:

"I think the two may be related at an early level, but it may be difficult
to prove this.

Semantically there is a connection. Given that a 'wijk' in Dutch is a
suburb, you could think of a populated area to be an extension of a
settlement, and so it could be a 'bend'; a kind of intrusion into previously
undisturbed terrain.

So you'd get: homestead > populated area > suburb > change, bend, etc.

How about that?

Best regards,

Marcel.