LL-L "Administrativia" 2007.05.01 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Tue May 1 16:46:47 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  1 May 2007 - Volume 03

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Subject: Administrativia

[Please do read this, especially if you are new on board!]

Dear Lowlanders,

Happy May to everyone!

We are in the middle of our 12th anniversary month. So please keep the
goodies for our presentations coming:

lowlands-l.net/anniversary/

lowlands-l.net/gallery/

Our Ben just submitted his own translation and narration into his
language variety, and I posted it:

lowlands-l.net/anniversary/english-western2.php

It's certainly localized, even percussively dramatized! Thanks a lot, Ben!

*Membership:*

Welcome to all of you who joined or rejoined us since the beginning of
April! At the end of this message is a list of your places of
residence.

Please, folks, read and understand the rules and guidelines! It's
really important. You find them at our main website
(lowlands-l.net/rules.php).

As most of you know in the meantime, our email addresses are now
visible only to subscribers. I hope this will encourage more of you to
come forward and participate in our discussions.

1.      We send the postings in Unicode (UTF-8) format. You need to
switch your view mode to it if you want to see all "special"
characters.

2.      You must always give us your name, given name and family name.

3.      If you forward Lowlands-L mail to another (alias) account,
please give us the address of that account. We need to identify it so
we can do something in case we get error messages from that server.

4.      You must credit the writers of anything you quote. "Lowlands-L
wrote:" simply won't do. SEVERAL OF YOU ARE STILL NOT DOING THIS.

5.      Please continue already existing subject headers (rather than
making up your own for the same thing). If you do begin a new topic,
please make sure "Lowlands-L" or "LL-L" is in the subject line as
well.

6.      DO NOT SEND POSTING SUBMISSIONS IN CAPITAL LETTERS ONLY.

Many beginners, but also a few older hands, forget to provide their
names with their posting submission. Please remember that anonymous
posting is not an option, that you are obligated to give your given
and family name, even if you do not put them right next to each other.

Even some people who have been with us for a while persistently ignore
the following rules:

1.      *Keep subjects separate*: Only one topic per posting! Don't
mix things up, please.

2.      *Stick to the subject title*: Do not change the topic name in
your responses. Just stick with the one we have, even if you think it
doesn't apply or is silly. I will change it if I think it needs to be.

3.      *Edit quotes*: If you hit the "reply" button and simply write
your response before or after an unedited, complete quoted LL-L issue,
please do not complain to me that I have removed the quoted text in
the published version. It is proper email behavior to quote only the
portions that are relevant to your response.

4.      *Give credit*: Let us know who the authors of quoted text
portions are. If you just hit the "reply" button, it will
automatically give "Lowlands-L" as the author. That will not do. You
must be more specific, and you owe authors the courtesy of crediting
them by name.

5.      *Signing off*: If you feel like leaving the List, please do
not send the sign-off command to the posting address or to my personal
address.

*Address Changes*

You do no longer need to sign off and on again if your email address
changes. It suffices if you send me (sassisch at yahoo.com) a message
giving us the old address and the new address. If you don't remember
under which address you were first subscribed, it will suffice if you
give us only the new address.

*Temporary Absence*

Before you take a trip or for some other reason need to stop LL-L mail
arriving for a given length of time, please write to us
([lowlands.list at gmail.com]) to let us know the date you want mail to
be stopped and the date you want mail to be resumed. As some of our
members can attest, this has been working really well, certainly beats
the old, crude method of signing off and on again. Once in a while
people find themselves unsubscribed without notice. Some of them
immediately suspect the worst: that I have "booted them out" for some
infraction or other. (I know this for sure only about those that
contact me. But it happens again and again and involves even the
nicest, best-behaved people.) Please do not jump to this conclusion
unless you have received prior reprimands and warnings (which has
occurred very rarely, not at all for well over one year). If you find
yourself disconnected from Lowlands-L, the reason is most likely that
the automated server has unsubscribed your address because of repeated
"bouncing," i.e., because your mail servers keep informing the list
server that you cannot be reached or is filled above quota. Most of
the time this is due to temporary disconnection. Sometimes the reason
is that a subscriber's junk mail filter (or "spam" filter) has not
been "told" to exempt Lowlands-L mail, which is why our mailings do
not arrive in your inboxes. So, if Lowlands-L mail stops coming,
please first check your "spam" filters and adjust them if necessary,
and only contact me about the problem if all of the above fails.
Should you indeed be disconnected, please write to me or resubmit an
application. I'll be more than happy to bring you swiftly back to the
fold.

Again, dear Lowlanders, thanks for your support and cooperation and
for all those interesting contributions past and future!

Regards, Reinhard "Ron" F. Hahn

Co-Founder & Chief Editor

Lowlands-L http://www.lowlands-l.net

***

Welcome to those of you who just joined us since 1 April 2007!

Belgium (België, Belgique, Belgien):
     Western Flanders (West-Vlaanderen):
          Ostend (Oostende) [1]
Croatia (Hrvatska):
     Bjelovar-Bilogora:
          Bjelovar [1]
France:
     Hauts-de-Seine:
          Nanterre [1]
Germany (Deutschland):
     Saxony (Sachsen, Sakska):
          Leipzig (Leipzig, Lipsk) [1]
     Schleswig-Holstein:
          Neustadt in Holstein [1]
Iran (ايران):
     Tehran Province (استان تهران):
          Tehran [تهران) [1)
Italy (Italia):
     Lombardy (Lombardia, Lumbardìa):
          Monza (Monza, Munscia) [1]
Netherlands (Nederland):
     Northern Holland (Noord-Holland):
          Hilversum [1]
United Kingdom:
     England:
          Cambridgeshire:
               Cambridge [1]
United States of America:
     California:
          Temple City [1]
     Indiana:
          Elkhart [1]
     Massachusetts:
          Boston [1]
     [? North Carolina, South Carolina, Minnesota ?]
          Beaufort [1]