LL-L "Anniversary" 2007.05.11 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Fri May 11 18:05:25 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  11 May 2007 - Volume 01

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Anniversary

Dear Lowlanders,

As the month of our 12th anniversary is drawing to an end, I want to thank
those of you that during this time made special efforts to further develop
our Anniversary Presentation (lowlands-l.net/anniversary/). A special kudos
each goes to Andrys Onsman for his solicitation and facilitation efforts and
to Tomoki Minohara for his introduction (
lowlands-l.net/anniversary/minohara-en.php).

This presentation attracts a steadily growing number of visitors from a
steadily growing number of countries. Having been watching what goes on in
this regard, I am no longer surprised about anything, for example if there
is a surge of visits to Dutch and Low Saxon pages from a number of people
in, say, the Maldives, which seems to indicate some sort of group sharing in
that country. I find this rather pleasing. Many people first visit pages
about non-Lowlands languages and then discover those about lesser-known
Lowlands language varieties. So this baiting tactic seems to work.

While working on this project I have been enjoying one-to-one contact with
many of you, also with many non-members that share some of our interests.
Several of the latter ended up joining us.

All of this has been a real treat. It made me realize and appreciate how
many interested and interesting people there are among us, and what nice
ones too. I am particularly thrilled by the enthusiasm I encounter among
those that are considered young by anybody's standards.

I thank all of you who have been writing to me, and I ask that you be
patient with me. I have been very busy, but I have not forgotten you and
will respond as soon as possible.

It is now abundantly clear to me that many of you feel socially rather
isolated with your interests and passions. It also seems that interactions
on the List alleviate these feelings only to a certain degree. I therefore
encourage you to network with each other as much as possible. Of course, no
networking can involve those that choose to remain thoroughlu hidden in the
shadows of "lurkdom." However, those of you that are less private might want
to consider introducing themselves either in the form of postings to the
List or as a part of the anniversary project (
lowlands-l.net/anniversary/members.php) or of the gallery project (
lowlands-l.net/gallery/), or all of the above. By announcing your specific
interests and projects and by inviting responses and collaboration you
create rare opportunities for yourselves and for others, opportunities you
may later regret not having seized.

If you wish to contribute to our anniversary and gallery projects, please
write to me either privately (sassisch at yahoo.com) or at the administrative
address (lowlands.list at gmail.com) with the respective subject lines "LL-L
Anniversary" and "LL-L Gallery".

Thank you all.

Reinhard/Ron

P.S.: And a happy Mother's Day to all maternal Lowlanders!